Anthems sound on campus

Nimota Nasiru

Students walking on Central Campus on Friday afternoon did not hear the normal chimes coming from the Campanile.

The national anthems of Ecuador, Argentina and Puerto Rico were played on the bells of the Campanile Friday afternoon.

For the past two summers, the Puerto Rican Student Association has chosen this method of presenting Puerto Rican cultural pride on campus.

This school year, Karla Martinez-Silverio, senior in pre-journalism and mass communication and president of the Puerto Rican Student Association, said she thought it would be a better plan of action if the Campanile chimed to the anthem of not just one Latin American country, but three.

Organized by Martinez-Silverio, this display was presented in honor of Latino Heritage Month.

“I hope to represent the diversity [on campus], and have everyone celebrate the month as a family,” Martinez-Silverio said.

Students on their way to class gathered around and watched as a few Puerto Ricans waved their flags to the rhythm of their anthem and other Latin Americans sang their respective national anthems.

Students involved with the mini-celebration felt a significant pang of cultural pride as the anthem to their respective homelands were rang.

“This is directed to the people of the [Latin American] community, to hear their anthems and feel a little of their country represented at Iowa State University,” said David Romero, graduate student in interdisciplinary graduate studies and member of the Latino Heritage Month committee.

The monthlong celebration, which this year lasts from Sept. 15 through Oct. 15, has been held for the past 15 years to encourage awareness of Latino culture among all Americans.