March of the Americas treds through campus

Linsey Lubinus

Bright, multicolored flags rippled in the warm, fall wind that blew around Parks Library on Friday, and as more flags were being unfurled, revealing the colors of all the Latin American countries, there was sense of place and pride in the air.

The flags were handed out to the people gathered from different organizations and interests. With the U.S. flag and the U.N. flag in front, the group began to walk south, leading a long parade of color.

It was the March of the Americas, one of the opening events in celebration of Latino Heritage Month.

“It’s actually to show that we are not just one culture, but we are 20 different cultures within one. And it’s also just to raise awareness at Iowa State University,” said Daniel Hodapp, sophomore in art and design and co-president of the Latino Heritage Month committee.

The March of the Americas ran south from the library, wound along Lake LaVerne, and gathered in front of the Memorial Union between the north entrance and the fountain.

The parade formed a line, and David Romero, graduate in interdisciplinary graduate studies and student adviser of the Latino Heritage Month committee, called out each country’s name and the flag carrier stepped forward, proudly bearing their flag to the cheers of others in the procession.

“So at this moment, we’re celebrating our 15 years of celebrations of Latino Heritage Month here at Iowa State University,” Romero said to the group. “It’s a pleasure for all of us to be here today and thank you so much for helping us.”

There were flags from Spain, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, the Dominican Republic, Honduras, Guatemala, Mexico, Nicaragua, Chile, Ecuador, Panama, El Salvador, Peru, Uruguay, Paraguay, Columbia, Costa Rica, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, the United States, and the United Nations. Romero said Cuba’s flag would have been included, but it had been stolen.

“I just feel that it’s a good opportunity to highlight the Latino community at Iowa State’s campus,” said Jessica Ranero, graduate in educational leadership and policy studies and vice president of Latino/a Graduate Student Association.

Ranero’s father is from Guatemala and she carried the Guatemalan flag.

“It’s a great opportunity to represent where my family is from,” she said. She said she is proud of Guatemala “because it is such a part of who I am.”

The march is important to Aydee Melissa De Dios, junior in marketing and president of Mexican-American Young Achievers Society, for a similar reason.

“I think one of the reasons why I feel like I came to Iowa State is to kind of educate the community. It’s really important to educate the people who are here,” De Dios said. “[The march] helps promote our culture – cultures – in a positive way.”

De Dios was born in Mexico, but left at the age of 7 months for the United States, where she grew up.

“Coming to Iowa State had connected me to my people, like to Latinos, and I think that’s really cool. I’ve learned a lot from my culture and other cultures,” she said.

From the MU, the procession wound toward central campus, through Sen. Barack Obama’s speech and ended underneath the Campanile as Obama acknowledged Latino Heritage Month before he began his speech.