Consumers shop for status in brands

Emily Bishop

Apple, Coach, Starbucks – it’s difficult to go anywhere without seeing some type of brand name, whether it is a guy downing a Red Bull in your 8 a.m. class or a woman carrying the latest Dooney and Bourke handbag. Being an individual is no easy task when you’re constantly being tempted by apparel and products to upgrade your lifestyle.

Sixty-six percent of college students said price is their top influence when selecting a brand, according to a survey by BurstMedia. Fifty-six percent said a suggestion from a friend about a brand is their second influence.

Ann Marie Fiore, professor of apparel, educational studies and hospitality management, said branding is a name, sign, symbol, design, experience or combination thereof to identify and tell a story.

“Current young adults are really the ones that are affected by branding,” Fiore said.

Branding helps younger consumers form an identity and a lifestyle, Fiore said. However, there has been backlash to branding because it takes away one’s identity, she said.

“There is concern among some consumers that branding really is taking over,” Fiore said.

Age and gender play a part in brand preference, Fiore said. For instance, a young man may be loyal to a certain brand of automobile, but an older woman may have brand preference for a cosmetics product.

“One of the reasons why you do branding is product loyalty,” Fiore said.

It’s more expensive for a company or firm to get new customers than retain old ones, Fiore said. Another benefit for companies is that it builds an emotional reaction to a brand and creates a lifestyle the consumer wants.

From the consumer standpoint, the benefit of brand loyalty can be seen as enhancing one’s status or social acceptance.

“Generally, consumers already have preconceived notions regarding specific brands, which in turn often translates into their brand loyalty and/or purchasing decisions,” said Jessica Hurst, assistant professor of apparel, educational studies and hospitality management.

Comments from an e-mail survey Hurst conducted with some of her students about brand names yielded some interesting results.

“Brand names are not important for the fact that most all designer names are licensed out to companies that make the same quality clothing that Target and Victoria Secret have or Wal-Mart to Younkers,” wrote one student. “Just like Wal-Mart now selling Tommy Hilfiger jeans.”

“Quality becomes #1 when shopping for career clothing. I want the expensive stuff to last a long time, so that I don’t have to invest quite as often,” was another response.

Paul Lamunyon, junior in English, said he doesn’t have a clothing brand preference. Although he’s a loyal Hawkeye fan and purchases T-shirts with their logo, he doesn’t have a T-shirt brand he sticks with.

“Whatever’s the cheapest,” Lamunyon said.

Laura Sadowsky, senior in anthropology, said she doesn’t purchase clothes based on a favorite brand.

“I’m not huge into the corporate scene because of political issues with corporations,” Sadowsky said.

Michelle Hamer, store manager of the Gap at North Grand Mall, said factors such as the quality of the clothing and how well it fits ultimately affect what consumers buy.

“I think it depends on the person and what they’re comfortable with,” Hamer said.