Campus vending machines see higher prices

Corey Aldritt

Many of Iowa State’s favorite vending machine treats underwent a price increase at the start of the summer semester.

All 111 ISU vending machines raised the prices of candy bars, chips and other snack items.

Robert Parrish, assistant manager of food service for campus dining services, said vending machine prices are increased annually based on the cost of the product.

“Chocolate prices went up about 5 cents at the end of April,” Parrish said.

Snickers bars went from 75 cents to 85 cents, and a bag of Gardetto’s will also cost 85 cents.

Parish said he doesn’t change the vending machine prices during the school year, when many of the product prices usually go up.

“I get M&M’s occasionally – so I wish they wouldn’t have raised the prices,” said Timothy Reineke, junior in political science.

With the price of a quick snack on the rise, many students have already made up their minds.

“I’ve always tried to avoid them, because it’s cheaper to buy at the store,” said Dana Frits, graduate student in curriculum and instruction.

Parrish said they adjust prices during the summer, when campus life is a little slower and it’s easier to get to all of the machines in a timely manner.

He also said there won’t be an increase in the price of soft drinks this summer, because it’s contracted for the next few years.

Rui Liu, graduate student in physics and astronomy, said he didn’t mind the price changes as long as the price of water stayed the same.

“Since we can’t use pennies, prices only can go up by a nickel or dime,” Parrish said.

He said they just round the price to the nearest nickel, so over time, it will even out.

“I haven’t heard any complaints really, just comments,” Parrish said. “Staff notices price changes more often, because they’re here longer.”

Not all vending machine prices went up, however.

“Juices and fruit didn’t change,” Parrish said. “Sandwiches stayed the same, some even decreased.”

The most expensive treat in the candy vending machines are king-size Snickers and Milky Way bars, at $1.35.

“Snickers are extremely popular, and in the chip area, Cheetos are fairly popular. The green bag of SunChips is popular and less expensive,” Parrish said.