Health center offers help for binge eaters

Emily Bishop

Binge eating is being taken more seriously as an eating disorder.

Although binge eating is not formally categorized as a psychiatric disorder, help is available at Iowa State’s Student Counseling Services for students struggling with a binge eating disorder.

“If you’re looking at it as an eating disorder pattern, you’re looking for someone who does eat more than they intended,” said Amy Guillen, counseling intern at Student Counseling Services.

Guillen said symptoms of binge eating include feeling out of control regarding the amount and type of food consumed, eating more rapidly than normal, embarrassment, recognition that eating patterns are out of the ordinary for the individual and bingeing as a response to stress, an event or situation.

“We look at binge eating as a problem, because it can lead to a habit of overeating – which then can lead to obesity and its myriad of health-related problems,” said Rebecca Fritzsche, staff physician at the Thielen Student Health Center.

Fritzsche said binge eating is sometimes a cry for help.

“Habitual overeating is sometimes a manifestation of mental health problems that haven’t been addressed,” she said. “They’re taking it out on their body.”

Guillen said health risks of binge eating include weight gain, diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol and heart disease.

Binge eating is mostly a reaction to an event, a particular emotion or something that’s gone on in your life, she said.

“People cope with things differently. There’s a good possibility that people are using food as a way to cope with other stressors, life events, emotions,” Guillen said.

Guillen said binge eating is similar to other eating disorders, in that there’s a lot more to it than food.

“You’re still talking about an eating pattern that isn’t necessarily healthy for individuals,” Guillen said. “It’s more than the food. It’s about issues of control – feeling out of control and the shame and the guilt they’re feeling around it.”

In a six-month period, Guillen said, a person may binge a couple times a week, and this would be considered a sign of the binge eating disorder.

“The big thing is, a lot of people do know those eating habits aren’t normal for them,” Guillen said. “There’s a recognition that something isn’t right for them and it’s a problem.”

The problem, Guillen said, is people may be concerned about their binge eating habits, but they don’t realize they can seek help or treatment for it.

“I think a lot of people figure, ‘I just have this issue with food and I just need to have more willpower,’ not that it’s a treatable concern,” Guillen said.

Guillen felt there needs to be more education about binge eating disorders.

“I do think there are people on campus who may be suffering from this but may not realize they can seek help for it,” Guillen said.

Guillen thinks the negative association with binge eating prevents people from seeking help and taking it seriously.

“They may feel, ‘Why would I go in and seek treatment for it?'” Guillen said.

“It’s about looking at what’s underlying the issue – why is food being turned to.”

Guillen said myths about binge eating affecting just one specific group are false, and it’s actually prevalent through all body sizes, genders, ethnicities, age groups and economic statuses.

“It’s not a select group that has this or is more susceptible to this,” she said.

Judith Trumpy, registered dietitian at Thielen Student Health Center, said dietitians can play a part in helping a person recover from a binge eating disorder.

“We try to work together and we can handle the food angle – giving them food ideas, recipes and setting small goals,” Trumpy said.

Trumpy said they can answer questions patients may have about supplements and meal ideas, among other concerns they may have.

“We do have a really great program for working with students who have eating behavioral concerns,” Guillen said.

Guillen said students with binge eating concerns can seek help from nutritionists and trainers as part of the services the counseling center offers.

“We have individual counseling to focus on the underlying causes of what’s going on,” Guillen said.

“We have groups for those individuals as well, where they can get support and feedback in a supportive environment.”