Students learn to stay healthy on their own

Karla Walsh

College teaches you a lot, including how to take care of yourself on your own. Without parents monitoring your every move, you can learn to take care of your personal health while at Iowa State.

Living away from home raises many questions about where to go for medical care, exercise and counseling. Staying healthy is essential to performing well in school, so the Daily has compiled a list of all the places on campus that exist to keep you in shape and sniffle free.

If you need medical treatment:

Thielen Student Health Center, Sheldon Avenue and Union Drive

This ISU clinic provides services in general medicine, women’s health, allergy, travel, physical therapy and sexually transmitted infection testing. The ISU Wellness Center on the second floor includes a dietitian, a time- and stress-management counselor and an exercise specialist. A pharmacy is located on the first floor. Each semester, all students pay a health fee that allows them free treatment at the clinic. For appointments, call 294-5801.

If you need to talk:

Student Counseling Services, third floor of the Student Services Building

The transition from home to college can be stressful, so talking with a professional may be helpful. Psychologists and therapists offer free counseling for all students, but there is a $10 fee for missed appointments. Options include individual, group, couples, career, eating disorder and substance abuse counseling. Crisis consultation is also available. For appointments, call 294-5056.

If you want to join a team:

Club sports and intramurals are great ways to get in shape and meet other students. Almost any sport you would want to play has a club team at Iowa State. Find the one for you at the Student Club Council’s Web site at www.scc.iastate.edu.

Intramurals are offered year-round and range from cross country to free throw contests to euchre tournaments. Grab some friends and sign up for a team or go solo. Calendars and schedules can be found at the Recreation Services Web site: www.recservices.iastate.edu/im.

If you want to break a sweat:

ISU Recreation Services has many opportunities for those looking to get active. Lied Recreation Athletic Center has basketball, racquetball and volleyball courts along with a rock wall, weight room, fitness equipment and two indoor tracks. In the evenings, fitness classes are offered in the studio located on the top floor.

Schedules for classes can be found at www.recservices.iastate.edu/groupfitness.

Beyer Hall houses three basketball and volleyball courts, six racquetball courts, a weight room and a competition swimming pool that has public hours.

Forker Building is home to a swimming pool, dance and yoga studios and basketball and volleyball courts. Tennis courts are located right outside.

State Gym offers a swimming pool, an indoor track and basketball and badminton courts.

For outdoor activities, Maple-Willow-Larch and the Southeast Recreation Fields are great for football, ultimate Frisbee, soccer, softball and lacrosse. Towers Recreation Field is used for these sports and rugby. The ISU cross country course is located nearby. A disc golf course is located just off campus north of Frederiksen Court.

If you want to have fun in the wilderness:

Outdoor Recreation Services, located in the lower level of State Gym, offers outdoor equipment to rent and trips to enjoy the great outdoors. Equipment for camping, biking, water sports and outdoor games can be rented for a daily fee. Workshops are also occasionally offered to highlight an outdoor activity.

Check the Recreation Services Web site for more information at www.recservices.iastate.edu/outdoors/workshops.php.

If you want to eat healthy in the dining centers:

Believe it or not, even eating at an all-you-can-eat buffet everyday does not guarantee packing on the pounds. Healthy options are located at all dining centers on campus. Nutrition information is posted near the food in the centers and also online at www.dining.iastate.edu/nutrition.

If you want to meet friends with the same sporty interests:

Join a student organization focused on the sport of your choice. This will help you meet new people and exercise while being active in the ISU campus.

Find the listings for sports clubs on the student organizations Web site: sodb.stuorg.iastate.edu/list-type.php?id[]=23.

If you want to sneak in some exercise to your class schedule:

Working out can count for class credit. Have fun doing your favorite physical activity or try something completely different. All 100 level exercise and sports science courses focus on physical activities.

Find the one for you at www.iastate.edu/%7Ecatalog/2005-07/courses/exsp.html.