Campus diversity resources aid students

Shelly Leonard

Iowa State is the home to a very important office that can serve as a resource to all incoming students.

The Equal Opportunity and Diversity program at Iowa State can teach students much of what they need to know as far as diversity on campus, resources available to students and much more.

Carla Espinoza, associate vice president for human resources and director of equal opportunity and diversity, has been involved with the business of affirmative action since 1972. She’s had experience in investigations of discrimination and harassment and responses to civil rights complaints.

Espinoza said she enjoys many of the diversity and multicultural events at Iowa State, but there are some in particular that stick out in her mind.

“We love ISCORE; we love to present for ISCORE,” she said. “[We enjoy] all of the student multicultural events that they invite us to. We’re delighted to go and show students support.”

Evie Myers, associate director of the equal opportunity and diversity offices, spoke on the variety of diversity training the university provides.

“I love to do training on diversity, discrimination and harassment,” Meyers said. “I love going to classes and doing diversity workshops, as well.”

One of the common misconceptions on campus, when talking about minority populations is that it’s not just based on race.

Meyers and Espinoza both emphasized that other groups are included in this, such as the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Ally Alliance. Many times, groups such as these are forgotten or overlooked.

“A lot of the programs I like are the student multicultural programs and the LGBTAA,” Espinoza said. “The ones where I find we make the greatest contributions are on the information [as well as] training and faculty and staff issues.”

Espinoza said there is much more to the job than simply educating and presenting programs, although that does serve an important purpose.

“Other than just presenting, we give time and money to got ignorance?, Latino Heritage Month, ISCORE, Black Student Alliance, Disability Awareness and much more,” Espinoza said.

She enjoys many aspects of her job, but especially helping people recognize that a difference is a quality.

“If they play it right, the quality can serve them very well,” Espinoza said. “Just getting them to see the positive side of that difference; you can see the light go on. It’s really amazing.”

Espinoza said there are many important things for incoming students to know about diversity.

“I would express that their freedom of expression is protected by the university, but it doesn’t mean that it needs to be racist, sexist, homophobic or otherwise abusive of other individuals,” she said. “We all have the right to free speech but I’ve never understood why it needs to be hurtful.”

Meyers encouraged student to get involved with the many groups the university has to offer.

“Go outside of your own group and meet other people from other walks of life and work on their empathy skills. It’s good to learn,” Meyers said.

She suggests going to hear a speaker from another culture and going in order to learn about other cultures.

“There are so many things here,” Meyers said. “There’s always something you can go and learn. Help students expand horizons.”

The university offers a new web-based training for diversity issues on campus. It’s available through AccessPlus in the form of a quiz.

“It’s really interactive and if students get the wrong answer, it’ll pop up,” Meyers said. “It’s very important to learn more about these issues.”

Resources available to students

Multicultural Student Affairs

Designed to help acclimate multicultural students to the atmosphere and culture of college life at Iowa State. Offers academic assistance, identity development, diversity education, leadership programs and career development.

Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Student Services

Offers support, education, advocacy and referral on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues.

Student Disability Resources

Assists ISU students with disabilities in their transition to the university. Offers assistance in classes, living accommodations, exams, ISU courses, services, programs, activities and facilities.

Multicultural Student Organizations

Iowa State has more than 50 multicultural student organizations, including the Black Student Alliance, Latinoamericanos, Korean Student Association at Iowa State and American Indian Rights Organization.

Uhuru Magazine

This is a student-run magazine dedicated to covering stories important to the African American, Latino and Native American communities. The magazine is printed twice a semester.