Programs geared toward reorienting transfer students

Andrea Fier

At the start of each school year, special programs and events are held, such as Destination Iowa State, which is geared toward freshmen to help them get acquainted with campus and begin to feel right at home. These programs, however, may leave many transfer students feeling left out.

DIS, an orientation program designed to help incoming freshmen get acquainted with the campus and meet other students, offers a separate track just for transfer students.

“I went to DIS when I transferred here this year,” said Jordan Jurgens, sophomore in communication studies. “I had already been here [Iowa State] before and seen the campus, so I think the main reason they encouraged me to go is to meet the other students.”

Although some students have friends already attending Iowa State, for those who don’t, DIS can be very helpful.

“I already knew some people before I transferred here. I had a friend show me around campus,” said Alexis Bryant, sophomore in health and human performance.

Bryant said she attended a similar program as a freshman at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

“I didn’t want to feel like a freshman again,” she said.

Another set of programs designed to help incoming students adjust to life at the university are learning communities. Learning communities are smaller groups of students who have the same or similar career goals, take classes together and have the opportunity to live together on the same floor of their residence hall.

“We have about 20 learning communities on campus which are available, but not exclusive to transfer students,” said Doug Gruenewald, program manager for the vice president of student affairs.

Students involved in the learning communities participate in study groups, social activities and community projects together.

“I was in the design learning community as a freshman,” said Emily Rasmussen, sophomore in pre-business. “We all lived on the same floor in Linden. I met some of my best friends through it [the learning community].”