Five things to do after finals

John Askew

It’s the middle of the week and you just finished your finals, sold your books and took that much-needed nap. So what’s next? Instead of heading home early to hang out with your parents, stick around and enjoy the freedom. For most students this could translate into a couple days of downtime before the semester officially ends. In the off-chance that Welch Avenue isn’t your scene or you’re just bored, FYI thought of some things to keep you entertained.

Emulator gaming

Instead of dusting off that vintage console, grab your laptop instead. It’s possible to download almost every game released for systems such as the NES, Sega Genesis and Nintendo 64 – legally. Although, to play the games you will need to also download the appropriate emulator. A great Web site to start at is www.coolrom.com.

Online TV

In case you’ve missed some episodes of your favorite TV shows or just want to try something new, the Internet is loaded with them. Broadcasters such as ABC, FOX and The N offer free viewing to most of their shows – just check out their Web sites.

‘Try not to think about dolphins’

All right, so maybe it’s random and pointless, but it’s also harder than it sounds. But, if by some chance you actually love to think about dolphins, just substitute with something else.

Make a yearbook

Since Iowa State no longer publishes a yearbook, take the opportunity to make your own. A great way to start is to log onto Facebook and print off anything that is memorable about the year. This could include wall posts, your friends’ profiles, photos and groups you are in. To make it look nice use, a three-ring binder and some clear page protectors.

Explore campus

No matter how long you’ve been here, chances are that you haven’t experienced everything this campus has to offer.

Check out why some students think the library’s tiers are haunted or go visit where George Washington Carver used to work in the newly remodeled Morrill Hall.

Assume a new identity

First impressions are often the most important; so why not make them interesting?

It can be as simple as ordering food with an accent to even getting a ring through your nose.

Who knows, maybe you’ll even learn something about yourself.