Out with the oil, in with renewable energy

James Pusey

Since the days of Captain Planet, our generation has been drilled with save-the-Earth campaigns.

Fossil fuels are depleting while the steadily increasing world population demands more energy. Pile on the expert consensus that global temperatures are on the rise almost certainly because of human energy consumption habits, and you’ve got yourself a full-on energy crisis that even the Planeteers couldn’t handle.

William Simpkins, professor of geological and atmospheric sciences, teaches a class called “Energy and the Environment,” and believes that society needs to start looking beyond fossil fuels for energy.

“People who would look towards the future would say that we need to find alternatives to [fossil fuels],” Simpkins said. “They will eventually run out, and there is pretty good evidence now that we’re on the downside of the oil peak.”

According to geophysicist M. King Hubbert’s Peak Theory, oil production peaked in 1970 and will decline gradually until the total depletion of oil reserves around the year 2090.

Although oil as vehicle fuel could be replaced by hydrogen fuel cells eventually, Simpkins said our oil resources would be sucked dry before the infrastructure to support the fuel cell technology is ready.

This is a major problem, but it is one Simpkins believes can be solved if Americans are willing to make some lifestyle changes.

“Conservation would help us bridge the gap between oil going down and hydrogen going up,” Simpkins said.

“But it’s been a difficult sell to the American public that they should do with less.”

Other fossil fuels such as natural gas and coal are not diminishing as quickly as oil, but all fossil fuel supplies are limited, which means that eventually we will need to be reliant on energy sources that won’t run out.

“If you know your resource is finite, then it makes sense that in the future you want to move to things that are renewable,” Simpkins said.

There are several forms of renewable energy in use today, including wind, solar, hydroelectric, wave, biomass and geothermal energy.

Steps have been taken recently to increase the use of renewable energy in America. In his last State of the Union Address, President Bush proposed a plan that would increase biomass energy research and decrease gasoline usage by 20 percent in 10 years.

Although this is a step in the right direction, Simpkins said much more could be done to improve our energy situation.

In 1987 an international agreement called the Montreal Protocol on Substances That Deplete the Ozone Layer made regulations on chlorofluorocarbons and other compounds that harm the atmosphere.

Many experts, including Simpkins, believe the same type of international agreement could be made to regulate carbon dioxide emissions.

One plausible method of regulation that Simpkins mentioned was a cap-and-trade system, in which companies would receive a certain amount of emission permits, limiting how much carbon dioxide they can put into the atmosphere. If a company is emitting less carbon dioxide than its permits allow, their remaining emissions permits can be sold to other companies who need to put out more carbon dioxide than they were originally permitted.

Robert Brown, Bergles professor of thermal science and professor of chemical and biological engineering, said the use of renewable energy sources is another way to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions.

In addition to the advantages of replacing fossil fuels and helping the environment, Brown said renewable energy would improve national security. Since our energy could be produced within our own country, we would no longer rely on importing foreign energy sources.

Simpkins said that on a recent drive through California, the miles of empty desert reminded him of the many untapped renewable energy resources in the United States.

“There’s absolutely nothing there,and I don’t understand why they couldn’t put solar panels on every square inch of that,” Simpkins said.

Brown said Iowa in particular has a very high potential for renewable energy.

So fossil fuels are running out, and renewable energy is the future – the transition between the two is the hurdle we must leap.

So how can you help to ease the transition?

Simpkins offered these suggestions for making energy last: Turn off your lights when you leave your room, monitor your water usage, walk to class and drive a fuel-efficient car.

These actions seem small, but it is apparent that in order for positive changes to occur, society as a whole will have to make some sacrifices.

Power for the future

Some living tips from Friends of the Earth:

1. Avoid disposable batteries; use rechargeable batteries instead. If you want to go the extra mile, invest in a solar-powered charger.

2. Bring your own bags when you go shopping; last year in the United Kingdom it was found that the average person uses 134 plastic bags a year.

3. Drink water from the tap – buying water costs you extra money and uses unnecessary glass and plastic.

4. Have a romantic candlelit dinner – set the mood while conserving energy.

5. Buy some plants for indoor air purification. Plants have been shown to decrease indoor air pollution by 87 percent in 24 hours.

To receive more daily living tips, see www.foe.co.uk.

Green gadgets

1. The Power Purse – Invented by Iowa State’s own Joe Hynek, graduate student in mechanical engineering, this trendy handbag lined with laminated solar panels can charge your phone, MP3 player or other devices as long as they have a USB port. Cost is $300 – visit www.solarjo.com.

2. Solar Backpack – Plug a car charger into the bag and charge almost any small electronic device. Cost is $199 – visit www.voltaicsystems.com.

3. Pedal-Power Washing Machine – Washing your clothes could be as easy as riding a bike. Get some exercise and save energy all at once. Not for sale yet, but for more information see www.humboldt.edu/~ccat/pedalpower/josephSP2004/index.html.

4. Ecobulb – more efficient light bulb that promises to save you $100 on your energy bill throughout the life span of one bulb. They also promise to last up to 10 times longer than regular light bulbs. Visit www.ecobulb.co.nz.

5. Water-Powered Alarm Clock – Simply add water and you’ve got yourself a fully functional alarm clock. Just don’t ask us how it works. Visit www.ecotopia.co.uk.