Weight problem numbers rising

Linsey Lubinus

The number of people in the United States who are considered obese is rising. According to a press release from University of Washington Extension, two-thirds of Americans are overweight, and one-third of those are obese.

“It’s a growing issue, no pun intended,” said Ruth Litchfield, assistant professor of food science and human nutrition. “If we do not get a handle on the prevalence of overweight and obesity, it has the ability to cripple this country. It’s an issue you are not going to see go away any time soon.”

Measured by the body mass index, a number calculated from a person’s height and weight, “overweight” is a BMI of around 25 to 29.9, “obese” is 30 to 39.9 and 40 and above is considered “morbidly obese.”

Sixty-one percent of adult Iowans are overweight or obese, said Deborah Martinez, state coordinator for Lighten Up Iowa.

The sedentary lifestyle gained by the ease of technology is a large factor in the growing number of overweight people. Inactivity is one of the main causes of obesity, Martinez said.

“We’ve got a lot of technology that has created some very time-saving work for us, but decreased our physical activity,” Litchfield said.

The large portion sizes seen today are also considered a contributing cause. With the way food is advertised and food industries competing with each other, the amount of food served is a lot larger than it used to be, Litchfield said; what is considered a kid’s meal today used to be sized for adults in the ’60s.

“There is just a host of things going on that have contributed to this issue,” Litchfield said.

Being overweight does have consequences. Litchfield and Martinez named several possible health problems that can result from being overweight or obese, including type 2 diabetes, risks for certain types of cancer, cardiovascular disease and joint problems in the knees and hips.

The best ways to keep off the pounds can be found in little things. Martinez suggests parking the car at the back of the lot and walking to the building or walking to the store instead of driving.

“Keeping physically active, that’s half of the equation,” Litchfield said. “The other half is, ‘What are you eating?'”

Litchfield said to keep physically active with a minimum of 30 minutes a day and to watch portion sizes.

There are a variety of programs and facilities offered on the ISU campus for students, including recreation centers and health services. Another service is Lighten Up Iowa, a program designed to promote physical activity and good nutrition, Martinez said. The Iowa organization lets people register as teams and together become healthier with tips on activity and nutrition supplied by the program.

Not all health is dependent on weight and BMI.

“Health is a lot more holistic than a number,” said Raymond Rodriguez, program coordinator at the Thielen Student Health Center.

Rodriguez said some students who have high BMIs are healthier than others just because they are happier and less stressed than others with low BMIs. Rodriguez said the student health center encourages students to be happy in their own body.