StuGov podcast highlights Whittington-Michelotti campaign *PRINT ONLY*

Benjamin Whittington, a junior in political science, is running for student body president with Annaliessa Michelotti, a junior in womens and genders studies, as his vice president.

Courtesy of Benjamin Whittington

Benjamin Whittington, a junior in political science, is running for student body president with Annaliessa Michelotti, a junior in women’s and genders studies, as his vice president.

Emily Berch

Presidential candidate Ben Whittington and vice presidential candidate Annaliessa Michelotti spoke about “bridging the divide,” Student Government transparency and environmental issues on campus in the Daily’s “Meet the Candidates” podcast series. 

Whittington and Michelotti spoke about their different backgrounds in politics, Whittington describing himself as a conservative and Michelotti describing herself as a liberal, and how they formed a bond rooted in their different beliefs. 

The Whittington-Michelotti campaign advocates for an increase in Student Government transparency, specifically discussing the Student Government website. The candidates spoke about the difficulty they have had navigating the website and their hope to make the website and Student Government’s activities more accessible to students. 

Whittington and Michelotti also spoke about their campaign’s emphasis on environmental issues on campus. Whittington worked as a canvasser at the Fund for the Public Interest during summer 2018 and said he hopes to implement some of its policy ideas at Iowa State.

In their platform point to expand parking availability, the Whittington-Michelotti campaign intends to promote eco-friendly commuting options, such as a bikeshare service. Students would be able to check bikes out of a rack outside dorms and academic buildings, and potentially other living spaces, instead of driving to classes.

The podcast for the Whittington-Michelotti campaign can be found on the Daily’s website, as well as podcasts for Cody Woodruff and Analese Hauber and Austin Graber and Vishesh Bhatia.

Student Government elections will take place March 12-13, and students can vote online at vote.iastate.edu.