Hip Hop Dance Club shows off moves

John Askew

Hip-hop dancing in Iowa? Yeah, right.

Although some believe Iowa’s only contributions to pop culture are the Field of Dreams and Ashton Kutcher, some students are trying to prove them wrong.

On Saturday the ISU Hip Hop Dance Club, known as Dub H, will be hosting its fall show at Forker Hall.

The show features more than 150 dancers in 12 dances that are all choreographed and performed by ISU students, with a guest performance by the Loras Hip Hop Congress. Although the show’s size is larger than most in the Midwest, Dub H started from humble roots.

“An ISU student started it this last January with only 30 people, and now it has grown to over 300 members,” said Kristin Snobeck, club president and senior in art and design. “This is huge, considering that most of the other groups this size come from places like Chicago and Minneapolis.”

Most of the group’s members haven’t had any past experience with dance, Snobeck said, which is why Dub H welcomes anyone interested. At the beginning of the semester, it offers workshops that introduce instead of exclude.

“I’ve never really been a dancer, but when one of my friends asked me to join I decided to give it a try,” said Jonathan Paul, junior in journalism and mass communication. “The workshops helped me realize that, ‘Hey, I can actually do this’.”

Apart from this Saturday’s performance, some members from Dub H are traveling to Minneapolis to perform in a Starlight Competition at a Minnesota Timberwolves game.

The club also performs for Varieties, Veishea, Dance Marathon, ISU women’s basketball games and Boys and Girls Club.

“A lot of people don’t realize how much planning and work goes into all this is, so it’s a great opportunity for them to come down listen to some music, watch some dancing and experience what other students are doing,” Snobeck said.

The performances will be at 1 p.m., 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. in Room 196 in Forker Hall. Tickets cost $5 for students and $7 for the general public.