The science behind supplements

John Askew

With the daily rigors of class, studying and extracurricular activities, students today are facing growing pressures to stay focused and energized throughout the day. Although some are able to handle the stress, others are turning to stimulants as a quick fix.

“After a full day of class it is hard for me to concentrate later that night, so I usually have an energy drink or take caffeine pills to help me study,” said Michael Karberg, sophomore in Liberal Arts and Sciences-open option.

Although some form of energy supplements have been available for a while, the recent national craze has raised some concern from experts.

“The problem with dietary supplements is that they don’t have to prove safety before they go on the market, unlike drugs,” said Ruth Litchfield, assistant professor in food science and human nutrition.

“The FDA can only pull these supplements when they have to prove that it is not safe or effective, which is completely opposite of drugs.”

Dietary supplements include energy drinks, such as Rockstar and Red Bull, as well as pills, such as Spike, Hydroxycut and Stacker 3.

Although these supplements may not deplete the body’s stores of vitamins and minerals, they do create a health risk.

“A lot of the energy drinks are just soda with an added herbal stimulant. The concern is that if your taking these stimulants with addition to ginseng, guarana and other ingredients that can be found in pills – who knows what the effects are going to be,” Litchfield said.

Some of the effects noticed by students have ranged from anxiety to moodiness.

According to the Student Nutrition Action Committee at University of California-Los Angeles, other side effects include increased blood pressure, heart rate irregularities, headaches, strokes and even death.

“I’ve noticed that after taking this stuff I get a lot more annoyed with some things, but the biggest notice is when it all wears off and I crash,” Karberg said.

Litchfield said the risk associated with taking these supplements is more on an individual basis.

She said it depends upon what students are combining the pills and drinks with, whether it’s prescription drugs or even a health condition that could complicate the effects.

Although the health effects of the dietary supplements may seem short-lived, a nutritional diet, physical activity and plenty of sleep is the best cure for the strains of stress.

Trying to depend on a pill or drink to enhance performance – whether it’s for academics or physical activity – is not a healthy long-term solution, Litchfield said.

“We’re looking for a quick fix, and there just isn’t one,” she said.