Cigarettes survive in Ames

Bill Cleary

Smoking is bad for you.

That’s what we’re told by numerous anti-smoking groups, the government, the smoking policy development task force and several student organizations, anyway. Although a 25-foot halo smoking policy has become a heated issue among ISU students and administrators, people – for the time being – can still be found smoking outside buildings across campus.

But no matter which policy is enacted, many ISU students say smokers won’t be leaving the entryways of campus buildings any time soon.

Elza McGaffin, employee at Tobacco Outlet, 202 S. Duff Ave., sees the popularity of smoking every day.

“If you look at a 44-year-old woman who doesn’t smoke, she looks 44,” McGaffin said. “A 44-year-old woman who smokes looks more like she’s 56. It changes your voice and appearance, and it makes you smell.”

McGaffin said she sees a lot worse, however. Many of her regular customers are lung cancer survivors or have had their voice boxes removed because of throat cancer.

McGaffin, who smokes a pack a day, admits she is addicted and has tried to quit three times.

“I don’t like it having a hold on me,” she said.

Even so, McGaffin does enjoy smoking.

“It’s the oral fixation,” she said. “I also enjoy the taste of menthol cigarettes.”

To some, smoking is similar to alcohol consumption. It can be a group activity with friends. Nathan Kiefer, junior in liberal studies, enjoys the social aspect of smoking.

“Smoking is part of the nightlife,” he said. “I smoke more when I’m out drinking with my friends.”

A student organization that explicitly encourages smoking is the ISU Cigar Club. The club meets every Thursday on the Memorial Union terrace to smoke cigars.

“Cigar smoking is almost a status thing,” said club president Craig Buske, senior in political science. “It’s a very social thing, associated with things like poker and drinking.”

Some students, while nonsmokers, don’t mind that others smoke.

“I think it’s bad for you, but I think it’s peoples’ choice,” said Emily Janssen, freshman in meteorology.

Janssen, whose boyfriend and roommate both smoke, is also tolerant of secondhand smoke.

“I don’t really enjoy sitting in a smoky place, but it doesn’t bother me if I’m at a party or a social gathering,” she said. She has also had to discuss smoking boundaries with her roommate.

She doesn’t see any appeal to smoking, though.

“It just doesn’t seem that fun to me,” she said. “It’s just putting smoke in your lungs.”

Although many nonsmokers may be annoyed but indifferent about secondhand smoke, others have stronger opinions on the matter of tobacco use. Ken Kerns, associate director of environmental health and safety and chairman of the smoking policy development task force, thinks smoking is a rude, nasty habit.

“I would like to ban smoking, period,” he said. He added that he has tried not to step on anyone’s toes with the new policy.

Students have varied reactions to the proposed smoking policy.

“I think it would be good to have a social area for smoking,” Janssen said. “But I don’t think it should be forced.”

Kiefer likes the idea of designated smoking areas but thinks the policy is unnecessary.

“I think you should be allowed to smoke anywhere on campus,” he said. “Smoking outside is OK.”

Buske was adamantly against the policy.

“I think it’s ridiculous,” he said. “Smokers are generally courteous.”

McGaffin said there may be problems with compliance.

Des Moines Area Community College, where she is a student, has a campuswide smoking ban, but McGaffin said it hasn’t deterred smokers. And although smoke-free restaurants are common throughout Ames, the Campustown bars all permit smoking.

Students For Smoke-Free Bars is an organization that is attempting to persuade local bars to ban smoking.

Kiefer believes banning smoking would hurt bars’ business.

“Smokers will just find a bar where they can smoke,” Kiefer said. “And if all the bars went smoke-free, Welch would always be lined with people smoking.”

The Students for Smoke-Free Bars could not be reached for comment.

It seems that, regardless of the health risks and increasing bans, smoking will remain part of Ames’ nightlife.

“I think it’s a personal choice,” Buske said. “Obviously, it’s not good for you, but if someone who’s an adult wants to smoke cigarettes, that’s their choice.”