You spin me right round

Bill Cleary

Vinyl records are usually thought of as a relic from the past, something that appeals only to the baby boomer generation. But with a nostalgic history, vinyl’s appeal has allowed it to remain popular in a world dominated by digital media.

“You’ve got the big artwork, the liner notes, you have to flip it to get side two – there’s just a little more involvement,” said Nate Niceswanger, owner of Zzz Records in Des Moines.

The physicality and history of vinyl gives it appeal among younger listeners, as well. Some ISU students have taken to the dusty records of years past.

“Most of my music collection is comprised of MP3s, [but] it’s nice to have something physical sitting around,” said Jace Miller, junior in psychology.

Measured objectively, the sound quality of a record is far lower than that of a CD. Even so, many prefer the unique sound of vinyl.

“I think [vinyl] sounds better, and they look cool,” said Benjamin Goff, junior in journalism and mass communication.

“There’s something about having something that old.”

Niceswanger had originally planned to cater to an older crowd intent on rebuilding old record collections. He was pleasantly surprised, however, by the large number of younger listeners he’s attracted.

“We do very well with Iowa State students, and I was a little surprised at that,” he said.

“I think there are some college students who like to show off their stack of records.”

Although record production is far lower than it once was, it has never ceased completely. Several major artists of the 1990s, such as Nirvana and Sonic Youth, continued to produce records, creating a continuing attraction among younger listeners. Even today, many albums are pressed onto vinyl as well as CD.

Niceswanger said his new selection of vinyl is a lot smaller than his used, but it still sells very well.

Many of the artists putting out records today are indie rock bands and a number of reissued albums. There are also some mainstream artists, such as Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan, whose music is pressed onto vinyl.

Another attractive aspect of vinyl is its low cost. Most used vinyl at Zzz Records sells for between $3 and $6.

“Someone can come into my store with a $20 bill and potentially walk out with 10 records,” Niceswanger said. “That’s better than most downloading services or CD stores.”

The low cost allows customers to make their selections more freely, possibly opening them up to artists they would not normally listen to.

“If you’re buying a record for two bucks and it turns out to be a dud, it’s not that big of a deal,” Niceswanger said.

Vinyl has its drawbacks, too. It is less convenient than more modern media and is less portable. Records have to be played on bulky turntables, limiting their use to homes, studios and entertainment venues.

“CDs are nice and all, not to mention easier to play in a car,” Miller said.

KURE, Iowa State’s student radio station, still retains and plays a sizable collection of records.

“They’re more difficult to play compared to an iPod or a CD,” said Goff, who works as a disc jockey at KURE.

“It’s something that the DJs who have been around for a while do.”

Goff also said that several DJs bring their own records to play on the air.

Despite the availability of music downloads and even record purchases over the Internet, vinyl fans continue to frequent local stores.

Niceswanger said many people like to see the product in front of them to make sure it’s free of scratches and to inspect the cover and are certainly not going to give up going to the brick-and-mortar store.

The condition of records is also very important. Niceswanger said their delicacy makes mint-condition records both rare and valuable.

“If you have a really rare Buddy Holly record that sells for $100 in mint condition, and it’s just trashed and the cover is in two pieces, it might go for 50 cents,” he said.

Niceswanger said vinyl sales account for between 3 and 5 percent of all record sales.

“It is certainly a niche market,” he said, “but when you consider that music sales account for billions and billions of dollars, that is a pretty big chunk of the pie.”

Niceswanger thinks the typical vinyl fan seeks a more intimate experience with the music and that vinyl offers a more personal sound.

Despite advances in music technology, he thinks there will always be a market for vinyl records.

“I think part of the problem with CDs and MP3s is that they’re a little colder,” he said.

“If you’re at home, you’ve got the time and you’re just looking for something a little more fun, I just think it makes the whole experience a little more interesting.”