Tearoom offers fanciful feast, peaceful place

John Askew

Rumor has it there’s a tearoom on campus, and it’s in one of the most unlikely places.

The Joan Bice Underwood Tearoom, located on the ground floor of MacKay Hall, is a 105-seat learning laboratory that serves lunch Monday through Friday.

“The reason most people may not know about the tearoom is because we don’t advertise. It’s just not something we would like to do,” said John Kramer, lecturer in hotel, restaurant and institution management and coordinator of the tearoom.

FASTTRAK

Tearoom Menu:

Sept. 7

Barbecued meatballs

Mashed potatoes

Glazed carrots

Bowknot rolls

Cherry crisp with whipped topping

Sept. 8

Polynesian honey- mustard chicken breast

Buttered broccoli

Orange pilaf

Coconut twists

Chocolate mousse

Sept. 11

Taco salad in a tortilla basket

Sun-dried tomato and spinach tortilla chips

Baked custard

Sept. 12

Spaghetti with Italian sausage

Caesar salad

Garlic bread

Brown derby pie

Sept. 13

Chicken crepes

Romaine with fresh fruit salad

Brioche

Cream puff

Sept. 14

Meat and veggie calzone

Pasta primavera salad

Caramel almond sponge

Sept. 15

Fish fillets amandine

Calypso rice

Sugar snap peas

Butterhorn rolls

Bread pudding with foamy sauce

Kramer said another part of the reason people aren’t aware of the tearoom may be because of its location.

“We don’t try to run this as a for-profit business,” Kramer said. “It’s more of a learning experience for the students.”

Students in HRI 380L, quantity food production and service management experience, are responsible for operating the tearoom. With more than 30 people working to prepare a noon meal everyday, the students eventually handle all the different jobs, from being the manager to washing the dishes.

“I’ve been in this class for two weeks, but I didn’t know anything about the tearoom before I started,” said Amber Ihrig, junior in dietetics-human sciences. “The only thing I’m worried about is being the manager – there is a lot of work involved in that job.”

Although it is called a tearoom, there aren’t biscuits and tea being served to the tune “God Save the Queen.” In fact, the menu boasts a variety of dishes, all served in three courses. And at a price of less than $6, it’s an affordable lunch.

“I’ve heard of the tearoom, but I’ve never been there. I think a meal for that cheap is definitely worth trying, especially since it is located in Central Campus,” said Benjamin Eldridge, junior in finance.

From the tearoom’s beginnings, not much has changed, apart from the meals and a redesign in 2001.

“Really, I think the only thing that has been changed since opening is the portion sizes. They are a lot bigger now,” Kramer said.

Kramer said the tearoom tries to accommodate vegetarians on days that meat is served, but it’s best to call ahead and let them know.

“Even though there isn’t a sign in front of MacKay doesn’t mean we’re not there,” he said. “It’s just a great place to meet and have lunch.”

The Joan Bice Underwood Tearoom is opening for the semester on Sept. 7, with meals being served on weekdays at noon. Reservations must be made a day early by either calling 294-3330 or by going online to www.aeshm.hs.iastate.edu/tearoom. Meals cost $5.90. The tearoom accepts cash, checks, CyCash and Dining Dollars.