150 trans flags to accompany narrative event

Columnist Olivia Rasmussen believes it is more important than ever to raise awareness of what violence and discrimination the transgender community endures. Rasmussen notes that while there is still a lot of hatred, improvements in education and compassion are important factors in becoming an ally.

Logan Metzger

The Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success will be hosting ISU Trans Narratives: Trans Voices, Visibility and Art from 11:30 to 12:30 p.m. Thursday outside Parks Library in the free speech zone.

At 11:30 p.m. five speakers will start sharing their stories of being transgender, nonbinary and gender nonconforming students. These stories will focus on the joys and challenges the speakers have experienced and future opportunities the speakers hope to have as transgender, nonbinary and gender nonconforming students.

“This event is to feature and celebrate trans, gender nonconforming and nonbinary lives and experiences and identities,” said Brad Freihoefer, director of the Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success.

The event will move at noon to inside of Parks Library where student art from transgender, nonbinary and gender nonconforming students will be on display. Attendees will be able to do a gallery walk through the art pieces with reflective questions being asked about the trans community and experience.

Throughout the entire event, 150 trans flags will be on display outside of Parks Library. This display is to raise the visibility of the transgender, nonbinary and gender nonconforming community as part of the upcoming Trans Day of Visibility which is March 31.

“This event is important because it can let trans students across campus know that they are not alone and showcase the unique experiences of trans students at Iowa State,” Freihoefer said.