Role of team’s mentor filled by guard duo

Ricky Rud

When Will Blalock and Curtis Stinson stepped onto the court as freshmen in the fall of 2003, they turned to seniors Jake Sullivan and Jackson Vroman for leadership and guidance.

Last season, it was Jared Homan who made his presence known inside as the enforcer of a tough Cyclone defense.

Now Homan, the school’s all-time leading shot blocker, is gone and Blalock and Stinson have become the unquestioned leaders of the men’s basketball team.

“It’s something I look forward to,” Stinson said.

“I looked to those guys as a freshman and now I need to pass it on to these freshmen.”

This year’s six-man recruiting class has brought in four players 6-foot-10-inches or taller who will try to compensate for the loss of Homan, who averaged 13.6 points and a team-best 8.7 rebounds per game last season.

Stinson said the team can’t replace the bulk and dominance Homan provided but will improvise with what they have.

“You have to make up for it with whatever they bring to the table,” he said.

What the big men do bring to the table is a ton of versatility. Jessan Gray, Jiri Hubalek, Ross Marsden and Shawn Taggart all have the ability to step outside and make jump shots.

“We’ll play the pick and pop with them because they’re all mobile and they all can shoot,” Blalock said.

Having two years of Big 12 basketball under their belts, Blalock and Stinson will take responsibility for the progress of these newcomers.

“Through our experience we’ll teach the new guys what it’s like in the Big 12,” Blalock said. “We’ll critique them on things you already know and teach them.”

Stinson said he can provide leadership by talking to the team and has enjoyed their focus and desire to improve.

“These guys understand the game and we don’t have to get on them,” he said. “They’re always asking questions and that’s how you learn, by asking questions.”

Blalock and Stinson have an uncanny ability to play together on the court. The guard duo clicked after they both were inserted into the starting line-ups as freshmen.

“We both have that East Coast style of game, which makes the game easier,” Stinson said. “On the fast break, I know where he wants the ball and he knows where I want the ball. We’re just real cool.”

They’ve been roommates since they were freshmen and spend a lot of time hanging out off the court as well.

“We talk about what we should do differently [on the court],” Blalock said. “But we also stay away from basketball. We watch movies and TV, just hang out.”

Stinson finished last season as the team’s leading scorer for the second straight year and finished second in rebounding and assists.

Blalock’s primary role has been running the offense, leading the team with 4.9 assists and only 2.5 turnovers per game last season.

Coach Wayne Morgan also praises Blalock’s on-the-ball defense.

“Very seldom will another team’s point guard get past him,” Morgan said. “I think Will sets a lot of our tempo defensively and offensively.”

Blalock and Stinson have generated a lot of attention from the media and coaches around the country. Iowa State’s backcourt was ranked third nationally in The Sporting News’ annual college basketball preview.

Stinson was recently named to the preseason all-Big 12 first team by league coaches. Despite the honor, he isn’t paying much attention to the hype.

“Everybody reads it, but it’s all talk until I show it on the court,” he said. “I just go out and play. That [prediction] don’t mean nothing. The main thing about me is [I have to] prove it on the court.”

To live up to expectations, the guard tandem worked vigorously on their outside shots during the offseason. Both shot just over 25 percent from three-point range last season and expect the time and effort to pay off.

Stinson has definitely seen improvement.

“Sometimes it felt like I couldn’t miss,” he said. “Now I just have to show it in games.”

If they do show it in games, the Cyclones will be much more difficult to defend. After losing to eventual champion North Carolina in the second round of the NCAA Tournament in 2005, a return trip is expected.

To do that, Stinson and Blalock know that they can’t start off 0-5 in Big 12 Conference play again.

“Everyone has to work hard,” Blalock said. “We need to win games early and stay in the top three in the Big 12.”

Stinson agrees the team can’t get itself into a hole as it did early last season.

“We need to make sure we start off right away and play as hard as we can once that ball is thrown up,” he said. “Just give it all you’ve got so we’ll have no regrets after every game.”

An up-tempo game has become a trademark of Wayne Morgan basketball. Stinson said Iowa State hopes to continue that style this season.

“That’s what coach wants to do, that’s what we want to do, and that’s what’s going to happen,” he said.