College of Engineering Dean Search continues With Easterling’s open forum

Jordyn DuBois/Iowa State Daily

W. Samuel Easterling a Montague-Betts Professor of Structural Steel Design and Department Head is one of many looking for the spot as the next dean of the College of Engineering. Easterling said people are very important, not only students but faculty as well. “People are the core, they are our most valuable asset and key to success,” Easterling said. Easterling spoke in the Alliant Energy-Lee Liu Auditorium at 2 p.m. Monday March 25.

Kaylie Crowe

The search for the next dean of Iowa State’s College of Engineering continued Monday in Howe Hall. W. Samuel Easterling, Montague-Betts professor of structural steel design and head of Virginia Tech’s Via department of civil and environmental engineering spoke on what he would bring to Iowa State as dean.

Easterling began his forum by showing data about what concepts and opportunities tend to create the most growth. Easterling said one of his goals is to maintain high quality undergraduate programs, in addition to expanding graduate programs.

When discussing Iowa State and what he has learned about the college, Easterling said he was impressed.

“The undergraduate spaces I have seen here are really remarkable,” Easterling said.

Easterling’s next focus was on students and how they can continue strong preparation through Iowa State to enter the workforce after college or attend graduate school. He said preparation prepares students for life-long learning to benefit society.

Easterling said he wants to expand the graduate program and research opportunities. To do so, Easterling focused on the need to continue finding greater opportunities for financial support and undergraduate research. One way he felt of doing this was to expand entrepreneurial endeavors and philanthropy in the college. 

“People are the core, they are our most valuable asset and key to success,” Easterling said.

Easterling spoke on taking pride in and celebrating the success of colleagues. He said that wants to establish goals and objectives and then trust the people around to do good work. Additionally, he said that the foundation of all we do should be based on inclusion and diversity.

Finally, Easterling discussed the importance of strengthening notable and sustainable research programs, as well as how crucial it is to take chances on new research endeavors.

When it comes to resources, Easterling said funded research is important and especially support from alumni and friends.

“Leading the College of Engineering is a wonderful opportunity,” Easterling said. “The college has had significant success to date and more to come.” 

Easterling received his doctorate in structural engineering from Iowa State and has earned awards such as the 2012 AISC Special Achievement Award, and the 2017 ASCE Shortridge Hardesty Award.

The final candidate, Karen Thole of Pennsylvania State University, will host the last open forum at 2 p.m. Wednesday in Howe Hall.

More information on the dean search can be found on the Office of the Senior Vice President and the Provost’s website.