IRHA defeats order to put limits on police liaisons

Samuel Berbano

The Inter-Residence Hall Association defeated an order to limit the presence of ISU Police liaisons by a vote of 12-7 at its Thursday meeting.

Ross Kelderman, UDA President, asked to be removed as co-sponsor to the order, “The Police Are Our Friends, But Not Our Floormates,” and then spoke out against it.

“Officers want to work with students … if we say we don’t want to be around them, it’s a slap in the face to them,” Kelderman said. “If IRHA tells [students] to have a bad attitude about [the liaison program], then they will.”

If passed, the order would have praised the positive aspects of the Police Liaison program while discouraging these liaisons from walking rounds in halls with or without accompanying student staff.

UDA Treasurer Keith Wilbur, order co-sponsor, was disappointed on the outcome but remained positive about the attention drawn to the liaison issue. He said he was pleased that IRHA has been taking positions on “more important issues” this year.

IRHA’s parliamentary rules will likely prevent the issue from being raised again this session, he said.

Jared Wilson, IRHA director of special events, supported the bill, as well.

“I’m not saying we will have cops running around busting people, but I’m not saying we won’t,” he said.

The group also discussed the use of the term “Bricktown” in reference to the Birch-Welch-Roberts and Barton-Lyon-Freeman-Fisher/Nickell areas in Old RCA.

“They’re using the term Bricktown to force the two groups into one,” BLFF/N President Phil De Koster said.

Discussion on the Bricktown issue will continue at next week’s meeting.

“No one screamed, yelled, swore or stormed out. I’m extremely impressed with how everyone dealt with [the issues]. Hopefully we can argue like this for the rest of the semester,” said IRHA President Drew Larson.