Riot has minimal impact on recruiting

Keith Ducharme

The April 18 riot and Veishea’s suspension will impact the recruiting of new ISU students, but it is difficult to judge what that effect will be, university officials said.

Thomas Hill, vice president for student affairs, said the relationship between Veishea and the process of recruiting prospective students has changed over time.

“Veishea was very critical in the recruiting process in the early years,” he said. “As the process evolved and changed, Veishea was no longer what it used to be in that process.”

Recruitment changed because prospective students declare their college decisions earlier in the year, Hill said.

“Before, students wouldn’t commit [to a college] until after spring,” he said. “Now students are making decisions in the fall.”

Marc Harding, director of admissions, said Veishea has never been used to lure prospective students since he began working at Iowa State in 1997. He said the major event serves more as a distraction.

“If I wanted to bring in students [during Veishea], it would be hard to get around,” he said. “Given the size of the event, it’s not a good time to schedule visits.”

Visiting students need to come when they can see how the university looks on a regular day, Harding said.

“If I’m the one visiting campus, wouldn’t I want to go when I can take a look at campus as it usually is?” he said. “We want to bring them here with a clear mind; [we want them to] be able to talk with the faculty and see a normal Iowa State.”

Harding said Veishea is not a promotional tool to draw in students; therefore, the impact of Veishea’s suspension on recruitment is hard to measure.

ISU President Gregory Geoffroy’s decision to suspend Veishea for one year will likely positively affect how prospective students view Iowa State, Hill said.

“It shows that we at Iowa State are very thoughtful and considerate about the activities,” he said. “We’re taking proactive measures to ensure there will be Veishea in the future.”

Although Veishea itself does not aid or harm recruiting, the riot may cause prospective students to shy away, Harding said.

May 1 is the deadline for many prospective students to declare their college intentions.

Considering how close the riot was to the deadline, he said, a few students will walk away from Iowa State.

“For some, [the riot] is the last impression of Iowa State they know,” Harding said. “It’s obvious some will choose not to come because of it.”

Hill said he is only a little worried about the effects the riot will have on recruitment because many people understand the incident was only a single event.

“There will be some effect on individuals who saw only the riot activities on the news,” he said. “The effects won’t be nearly as dramatic on those who know what Veishea is about.”

Harding said he hopes students and their parents will base their decision on more than the riot.

“I hope people would judge our academic quality and institutions overall,” he said. “The riot is just a blip on the radar of many other things at Iowa State.”

Students visiting campus showed little reaction to the riot and Veishea’s suspension.

Kyle Kantro, a visiting high school student from Minnetonka, Minn., said he had never heard of Veishea before this year.

The main reason for his decision to visit Iowa State was the College of Engineering, he said.

Extracurricular activities, such as Veishea, would have no real impact on his decision to come here in the fall, he said.

“I think [activities are] a plus,” he said. “Still, I don’t think it would really hinder or enhance my decision at all.”