Spring break is finally here: Here’s how Cyclones are spending their week off

Courtesy of Grace Carey

Grace Carey, junior in pre-dietetics visiting Wrightsville Beach North Carolina over Spring Break 2016.

Sierra Hoeger

Winters in Iowa can drag on for what seems like the better half of six months. When it suddenly feels like spring is right around the corner, it snows again.

Spring break is an essential break for students to potentially visit somewhere warm, get a good tan and take a well-deserved break from their studies.

“I am most looking forward to meeting new people and getting the chance to spend the majority of time outdoors,” Grace Carey, junior in pre-dietetics said.

Carey will be spending spring break with Iowa State’s Outdoor Recreation Program, going on one of the many trips hosted by the organization.

The Outdoor Recreation Program is hosting eight trips over spring break, from surfing in California to hiking the Appalachian Trail.  Carey is going hiking and canoeing around Labyrinth Canyon near Moab, Utah.

Other students, however, are leaving the United States in hopes of returning with a tan, and even more hatred for the snow left on the ground.

“I’m definitely looking forward to relaxing by the pool and beach the most,’’ Sidney Scott, sophomore in advertising said about her upcoming trip to Cancun. “I also love to read while I tan, I think it’s so peaceful.’’

This trip will be Sidney’s fourth time visiting Cancun with her family and friends, where they will also celebrate her mother’s birthday.

Although not every student is going on an extravagant vacation, some like Tegan Alexander, a junior studying kinesiology and health, are simply going home.

“Just going home, back to Colorado, and then hopefully depending on the weather if we can do some fourteeners or go outside and hike,” Alexander said.

However for those staying in the Midwest, there’s plenty to do on a low budget. Taking a day trip to places around the Midwest provides the perfect opportunity for a road trip with friends.

Traveling to cities such as Kansas City, Missouri, Omaha, Chicago or Bloomington, Minnesota can be fun, sometimes cheap and can turn any spring break from dull to one you’ll never forget.

While the weather won’t exactly be ideal over spring break, Kansas City, Missouri has plenty of indoor attractions to keep you dry and warm inside. From the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art to the Museum of Illusions, finding one that pleases everyone in attendance won’t be an issue.

In both Chicago, Illinois, and Bloomington, Minnesota, shopping tends to be the focal point of attractions. Otherwise known as the “Magnificent Mile,” Michigan Avenue in Chicago contains more than 460 stores, ranging from Nike to Tiffany’s. There will be no problem finding stores that suit everyone’s taste and budget. Bloomington, Minnesota is home to the Mall of America, and with an indoor theme park, everyone’s inner child will want to come out to play. Also complete with an indoor miniature golf course, a little friendly competition could take place.

Known best for their outstanding animal life, the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha, Nebraska serves as an animal-lovers perfect day trip. Also with an Old Market and exceptional downtown scene, travelers won’t be bored in this city.

Wherever your travels take you this spring break Cyclones, be sure to really exercise the break part and take time to relax both physically and mentally.