Hy-Vee president brings expertise to the College of Business

Keith Ducharme

A businessman with a strong connection to the Iowa State community has been named the College of Business’ Executive in Residence.

Ric Jurgens, president and chief administrative officer of Hy-Vee, Inc., Des Moines, was selected for the fall semester position. Jurgens graduated from Iowa State in 1971 with a degree in Industrial Administration.

“It’s an exciting opportunity for me,” he said. “I love any chance to meet and interact with students and faculty.”

Since joining Hy-Vee in 1969, Jurgens has served as a store, regional and district manager. He was named president in 2001 and is a member of Hy-Vee’s board of directors.

The position of executive in residence is designed so students can link theory with practical use, said Labh S. Hira, dean of the College of Business. The job is a one-day program, with the highlight being a forum free to the public.

Jurgens will speak at the open forum at 1:10 p.m. Tuesday, in Room 1 of Carver Hall. The forum is titled “The Science of Retailing.”

The forum will cover the technological advances Hy-Vee has made and the necessity of advanced technology in the highly competitive world of retailing, Jurgens said.

In addition to the forum, Jurgens will be a guest lecturer in an undergraduate management course. He said he will use his time to teach students the tools Hy-Vee uses to motivate managers and employees.

“I have been a strong proponent of involving business in the education process,” he said. “It is vital educators should stay involved in the business world, and businesses be involved in education.”

Kim Schroeder, program coordinator for the College of Business, said Jurgens was an obvious choice for the position because Hy-Vee is a staple in the Ames community.

“We feel he is a leader of business in Iowa and the Midwest,” she said.

“His business is very visible to our students, who have a strong interest to talk to him.”

The position has been filled by leaders from a variety of businesses in the past, including the Pella corporation and Gateway, she said.

Jurgens was picked specifically because of the role he plays in leading one of the largest grocery store chains in the nation.

“We try to select something that is of interest in the business world at the moment,” she said. “[Jurgens] faces a huge challenge in the retail world, and we felt he would be great to talk to.”

Hira said Jergens was best for the job because of the expertise he can bring to the classroom.

“[Jurgens] is a role model to our students,” he said. “He will bring a lot to the classroom in terms of knowledge.”

Although he will devote much of his time to students, Jurgens will also meet with teachers and faculty within the College of Business to discuss the continuing education within the marketplace and the importance of faculty members following the private sector of the market.

While the position is used to bring leaders of business to Iowa State, Hira said Jurgens has been very involved with the college before, being a member of the dean’s advisory council.