Presidential candidate John Edwards’ wife visits Ames

Andrew Marshall

Standing on the platform of “College for Everyone,” Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards’ wife presented her husband’s plan to make college more affordable during her visit to Ames on Friday.

Elizabeth Edwards, wife of North Carolina Senator John Edwards, outlined her husband’s plan to make the first year of tuition free for anyone accepted to a state or community college.

She told the crowd of 40 gathered at the Edwards for President headquarters in Ames, 120 Kellogg Ave., the plan would create opportunities for people who otherwise would never have thought of attending college.

Edwards said the plan would allow “a couple hundred thousand additional kids per year to attend college.”

In exchange for the free tuition, Edwards said first-year students would have to work or do community service for about 10 hours a week.

She also said having the first year of tuition paid for students frees up a university’s money and increases school aid available.

Edwards said her husband’s overall economic plan will free up more than enough money to finance tuition for first-year college students, estimated to cost $3 billion.

The economic plan will get rid of tax cuts for the wealthy and eliminate duplicate government agencies.

Edwards said “College for Everyone” would not overcrowd universities because, “students still have to be accepted, just like now.” She said the acceptance rates of universities will stay almost the same, and estimated around 100 more students per university would enroll.

Edwards also spoke about her husband’s plan to save money by using direct student loans instead of loans from banks.

By having the loans come straight from the federal government and eliminating taxpayer subsidization of bank loans, Edwards said the plan would “cut out the middle man” and save taxpayers billions.

After speaking, Edwards answered questions from the crowd, most of which were on health care issues.

Edwards talked about plans to reduce the cost of prescription drugs and to take care of seniors and children.

“We want every child to be covered from the time they are born until age 21,” she said.

Edwards portrayed her husband as the advocate for the middle class and the best Democratic candidate to face President Bush.

“He’s a regular guy who gets people’s lives and who understands their issues,” she said. “The guy’s a winner. He knows how to win.”

Edwards said the main reason why her husband can stand up against Bush is that he is genuine. She said he personifies the image of caring for the middle class, an image that Bush is using to trick voters.

“We need to reach these voters that Bush thinks belong to him,” she said.

Edwards said her husband stands above the other Democratic candidates because he has the ability to relate to voters all over the country, something that Democratic leaders have lacked recently.

Edwards also said her husband distinguishes himself from the other Democratic candidates because he has “the most complete message.”

“He has a really complete plan for the direction this country needs to go,” she said. “He’s the man with the plan.”