Big weekend put Cyclones in control

Andrew Nickerson

The ISU women’s soccer team departed for Texas this weekend hoping to ensure a return to the Lone Star State in two weeks for the Big 12 Tournament.

The Cyclones took two big steps toward making that return trip, scoring a win and a draw against Big 12 foes Texas Tech and Baylor.

The results put Iowa State at 2-5-2 in Big 12 play and 5-8-4 overall. The Cyclones are now alone in eighth place in the conference, and the top eight teams qualify for the San Antonio tournament Nov. 6—9.

A win or tie against Missouri Friday in Ames in both teams’ conference finale would give Iowa State the final spot in the tournament field.

Iowa State gained its first conference road win of the season Friday night by defeating Texas Tech 3-0 in Lubbock, Texas. The Cyclones tied Baylor 1-1 in Waco, Texas Sunday. Sophomore Amy Flores’ fourth goal of the season — and second of the weekend — tied the game with less than three minutes left in the second half off a Kristina Baumann assist.

In Friday’s rout, Baumann scored an unassisted goal in the 34th minute of the first half. It was her third goal of the season.

“Kristina Baumann wanted to get a lot of shots on goal and just kept battling for the first goal,” ISU head coach Rebecca Hornbacher said.

Iowa State outshot Texas Tech 9-3 in the first half. The Cyclones continued to put the pressure on the offensive zone in the second half as sophomore midfielder Deb Benakis put Iowa State up 2-0 in the 50th minute on assists from redshirt freshman Kate Kirwan and Baumann.

Sophomore forward Amy Flores finished the scoring in the 71st minute as she took a pass from Kirwan to put the ball into the back of the net.

Senior goalkeeper Beth Chapman recorded her 10th career shutout, breaking the all-time school record in shutouts, previously held by Lynley Hilligoss.

“Beth Chapman came out hard and had good leadership in the back tonight,” Hornbacher said. “She did a good job coming out on some crosses.”

Overall, the Cyclones had a commanding 13-2 advantage on shots on goal. Hornbacher said she was pleased with the team’s second half performance.

“We created some opportunities in the second half, more than in the first half. We did a good job of serving the ball in and controlling it in the attacking third,” Hornbacher said. “Offensively, Deb Benakis and Jess Villhauer created a lot in the midfield. Benakis did a lot for us in terms of creating opportunities.”

Hornbacher pointed out how the last conference game this season for the Cyclones is an important one.