Social and Behavioral Research Institute gets new leader

Billie Moorehead

An institute that works to apply behavioral research to real-life situations has both a new leader and a new focus.

Carolyn Cutrona, newly-named director of Iowa State’s Institute for Social and Behavioral Research, brings experience, dedication and enthusiasm to her position, colleagues say.

“She was an excellent choice for director, because she’s been [in the field] a long time; she knows what’s going on,” said Kelli Gardner, graduate student in psychology who works for Cutrona.

“The committee did a good job with selecting her.”

According to its Web site, www.isbr.iastate.edu, the Institute for Social and Behavioral Research works to gain understanding of human behavior and apply that knowledge to programs and policies.

Cutrona described the Institute for Social and Behavioral Research institute as an interdisciplinary research center that brings research from many different departments together.

Cutrona said combining information from various departments allows many perspectives on issues.

In the past, the institute has focused its research on families and children, Cutrona said.

“Now we are adding a focus on the elderly and bringing together interdisciplinary teams to study aging in rural settings,” Cutrona said.

Cutrona said the new focus was partially due to a loss in faculty who studied children, but more importantly, to keep up with their subject population.

“In some studies, we have been following 10 to 15 years, and the parents are aging, and we need to understand their problems,” Cutrona said.

Cutrona said a personal goal is to provide a productive work atmosphere.

Cutrona said the Institute for Social and Behavioral Research currently employs 14 graduate students and 27 undergraduate students.

“It’s a good opportunity to learn how to do research. We like hiring students,” Cutrona said.

Student job opportunities include telephone interviewing, collecting data, entering data and helping to keep computers running, Cutrona said.

“It all depends on openings. When we have a big project, we hire people,” Cutrona said.

Gardner said if students are interested in this field, they should stop in the Institute for Social and Behavioral Research office for more information.

Gardner, who has worked for the institute for three years, said she has had a good experience working for the Institute for Social and Behavioral Research and for Cutrona.

“I think she’s a good leader,” Gardner said. “She gets things done and cares about people.”