President Geoffroy to encourage young entrepreneurship at Iowa State

William Dillon

Aspiring entrepreneurs will meet Wednesday to recruit new members to the ISU Entrepreneur Club.

“[The event offers a] nice informal way for students from all majors to get introduction to entrepreneurship,” said Judi Eyles, associate director of the ISU Pappajohn Center for Entrepreneurship and adviser for the ISU Entrepreneurship Club. The Pappajohn Center, located at the ISU Research Park, works directly with and provides resources for the ISU Entrepreneurship Club.

ISU President Gregory Geoffroy is scheduled to give a speech encouraging involvement in the ISU Entrepreneur Club and to introduce the new residential entrepreneur learning community planned for fall 2004, Eyles said.

“Geoffroy is excited about entrepreneurship at Iowa State,” she said.

The learning community will offer an environment for students of all majors who are interested in entrepreneurship to interact, according to the ISU Pappajohn Center Web site, www.isupjcenter.org. The entrepreneurial studies academic program, another initiative planned for fall 2004, will offer interaction among students, speakers and mentors to assist and teach the students about entrepreneurship.

During the next year, focus groups will be set up to organize the details of the academic program, Eyles said.

“Students play a key role in the amenities of [the program],” she said.

Raymond Silhanek, president of the ISU Entrepreneur Club, helped organize the annual event.

“I am greatly enthused President Geoffroy is going to be our guest speaker,” said Silhanek, freshman in agricultural engineering.

Three students will also present different messages during their speeches to the crowd, Silhanek said. One student will discuss how he became involved with the ISU Entrepreneur Club and what he has done so far as a member.

Other students are scheduled to discuss how to get involved in the ISU Entrepreneur Club and its activities.

Testimony from a former member of the ISU Entrepreneur Club who currently owns a business and a testimony from a student who has interned with the ISU Pappajohn Center is also scheduled.

In past years, the kickoff events have typically drawn between 100—150 people, Eyles said.

“We are looking forward to letting people know what we are doing,” Silhanek said. “It’s really going to be a great year for us.”

The meeting will be held at 6 p.m. Wednesday in the Gallery Room of the Memorial Union.