ISU officials anticipate enrollment to drop in 2003

William Dillon

ISU officials anticipate a decrease in overall enrollment for the fall 2003 semester, citing a variety of reasons.

“The indication is that the numbers will be down,” said Warren Madden, vice president for business and finance.

Thomas Hill, vice president for student affairs, speculated this year’s enrollment may be down about 600 students when the finalized numbers are released mid-September.

“There are a number of issues [which may contribute to the decrease],” he said. “This is a very complex thing.”

A possible factor for lower enrollment is the decreasing number of high school graduates throughout Iowa. Officials expect this decrease will directly affect Iowa’s public universities.

Other possible factors in the decline include students enlisting for the war, higher academic standards, students completing college in a shorter amount of time and recent tuition hikes, Hill said.

“We’ve got to do our best to make students know we are not alone with tuition hikes,” Hill said. “It’s costing more to go [to college] everywhere.”

The final numbers may also represent a decrease in international student enrollment due to the SARS epidemic, Hill said.Madden said the heightened regulations and standards for international students to obtain visas in order to attend Iowa State may also be a factor.

Philip Patton, University of Northern Iowa registrar, anticipates a similar decrease in enrollment for the University of Northern Iowa.

“We are likely to see lower enrollment for a couple of years, which will level off as tuition increases level off,” he said.

Lola Lopes, associate provost for undergraduate education at the University of Iowa, said she does not foresee lower enrollment numbers this year at the University of Iowa.

“Looking at the pattern of enrollment [throughout the summer], we anticipate enrollment will stay about the same, if not [rise] higher,” she said.