Wigginton, Cyclones gearing up for Baylor rematch

Sophomore Lindell Wigginton moves the ball down the court during the first half of the Iowa State vs. Alabama State game on Nov. 6 at the Hilton Coliseum. The Cyclones won 79-53. 

Aaron Marner

The Big 12’s double round robin scheduling format gives losing teams a chance at revenge.

Iowa State (19-6, 8-4 Big 12) got a taste of that Saturday for the first time this year, after beating a Kansas State team that won the first game of the season series.

At 8 p.m. Tuesday, the Cyclones will have another chance at revenge when they host the Baylor Bears (16-9, 7-5 Big 12) just a month after Baylor handed Iowa State its first loss in conference play. A lot has changed since that first matchup, as Baylor has suffered multiple injuries to key players and the Cyclones have gotten more production from sophomore guard Lindell Wigginton.

“[Baylor coach Scott Drew] has done a remarkable job,” head coach Steve Prohm said. “They’re very tough, very physical. They’ve been able to really weather some storms with their injuries.”

Baylor is without forward Tristan Clark, who last played in the first matchup with Iowa State and will miss the rest of the season. He was averaging 14.6 points per game before his injury.

The Bears could also be missing redshirt senior guard Makai Mason, who is the team’s leading scorer at 15.6 points per game. Mason had a game-high 25 points in the first game against the Cyclones, a 73-70 victory.

Clark and Mason combined for 41 of Baylor’s 73 points in the first matchup.

Still, Baylor has gone 7-4 since the injury to Clark. One big reason, Prohm said, is their strong zone defense.

“The zone is really active,” Prohm said. “Their effort’s really good.”

Prohm said he noticed Baylor has played 6-foot-5 forward Mark Vital and 6-foot-7 forward Mario Kegler at the four and five spots, meaning Baylor can go small and still defend effectively within its zone.

Offensively, one of the keys to beat the zone could be Iowa State’s outside shooting.

The Cyclones are coming off a game against Kansas State in which they hit 14 of their 24 3-point attempts (58 percent). The hottest shooter was Wigginton, who lit up the Wildcats to the tune of 23 points (5-of-6 on 3-pointers).

Wigginton has picked up his play as of late. In Iowa State’s last six games, Wigginton is averaging 17 points on 52.7 percent shooting. He’s also hitting 51.6 percent of his 3-pointers (16-for-31).

His teammates have noticed Wigginton’s recent improvement.

“When he was coming back he was trying to get it all at once,” said freshman guard Tyrese Haliburton, who leads the team in 3-point shooting at 44.6 percent. “I think it was a progression. He had to have a couple bad games, he had to have a couple games where he didn’t make the shots he wanted to.

“He’s playing really well right now. When he’s playing well like that and Cameron [Lard] is playing like that off the bench, we’re really hard to beat.”

Wigginton was held to 11 points (3-for-8 shooting) in the first game with Baylor.

Wigginton’s 3-point percentage has fluctuated this season. He was a 40.1 percent 3-point shooter as a freshman in 2017-18, but after missing 10 games early this season with a right foot strain, Wigginton’s numbers weren’t up to par. Through his first seven games, Wigginton was shooting 28.6 percent from beyond the arc.

“I knew I was gonna get back [to 40 percent] at some point,” said Wigginton, who is now up to 39.7 percent from deep. “My shooting stroke didn’t just leave me. I knew I was gonna get there at some point.”