INS registration program causes hardships

Alyssa Jackson

Although no ISU students have been deported for failing to register with the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), they are still experiencing difficulties with the system.

Nouriddin Salih, freshman in pre-business, failed to register by the preset deadline and was arrested and jailed for a week.

“I have a hearing in March 2004 to explain why I registered late,” said Salih, an Iraqi citizen.

The new immigrant registration program has been implemented by the INS, now part of the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS), according to its Web Site, www.immigration.gov. It is called the National Security Entry-Exit Registration System (NSEERS) and it aims to increase national security.

Salih said they could possibly deport him, but as a student and considering all of his information cleared, it probably would not come to that.

The objective of NSEERS is to have visiting, non-immigrants from certain countries register with their local immigration office, according to the Web site. Most of these countries are in the Middle East, including Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria.

Zaid Rabadi, president of the ISU Arab Student Association, said he has heard both good and bad reports of the registration process from friends.

“The distribution seems justified. Those countries usually have people who are risking our safety,” said Rabadi, sophomore in industrial engineering.

Ahmed Hashim, president of the ISU Muslim Student Association, disagrees.

“I think they should either do it for everybody or don’t do it for anybody,” said Hashim, graduate student in electrical and computer engineering.

By registering, the BCIS can detect wanted criminals, known terrorists and those who have overstayed their visa, according to the bureau’s Web Site. It also allows the bureau to increase their knowledge of those registered, concerning where and why they are in the United States.

“About 250 men from Iowa State had to register. That’s about 10 percent of the international student population,” said Dennis Peterson, director of International Education Services.

Approximately 82,000 Muslim and Arab men have registered and about 13,000 have been reported as living in the United States illegally, and may be deported, according to an article in the New York Times.

“I think it is kind of unfortunate,” Hashim said. “Some people who simply forgot to renew their green card and have families here can get deported.”

Currently, the NSEERS has found only 11 people connected with terrorism, according to the New York Times.

“The U.S. has all the right to do so, because their security and trust has been broken,” Salih said. “If I was in their place, I would do the same.”

The NSEERS required males over the age of 16 to register, according to the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services Web site.

Salih said since Sept. 11 he feels insecure and judged by his nationality.

“Day by day, no one asked you where you were from or why you are here before September 11,” Salih said.

Those who do not obtain immigrant status and stay in the United States will need to register again every year, Peterson said.

Rabadi said he doesn’t understand why the BCIS is taking this approach. “I know it is for our protection, but if you’re a terrorist, why will you come and register?” Rabadi said.