Softball team drops tough game to Nebraska

Andrew Nickerson

In facing one of the Big 12’s top pitchers, Peaches James, the ISU softball team knew it had to be patient at the plate.

But it was James’ pitches that kept the Cyclone hitters off-balance as the junior right-hander pitched a one-hitter, striking out nine and walking none to lift No. 9 Nebraska to a 6-1 win over Iowa State on Wednesday.

ISU head coach Ruth Crowe said James threw impressively throughout the game.

“As they got a lead, she got tougher as the game went along,” said Crowe, whose team fell to 18-28 overall and 5-11 in the league. “We would get a hit off of her, but it was right at someone. We hit her towards the end of the game, but it wasn’t enough to get some hits together to score runs.”

The Cornhuskers were led in hitting from senior Kim Ogee, who went 2-for-4 with a double and two RBIs. Senior Lisa Wangler also contributed by going 2-for-3 at the plate and also had two RBIs.

Nebraska took a 2-0 in the first inning as Wangler hit a two-run single to center off of ISU freshman starter Kristen Karanzias. Ogee hit a 2-2 pitch to the center field fence for a two-run double to make it 4-0 in the second.

The weather also played a factor in the game, with a 10-minute rain delay in the bottom of the fourth inning. “The rain didn’t help at all,” Crowe said.

The Cyclones scored their only run of the game in the top of the fifth inning when freshman shortstop Cary Akins reached base on a Nebraska error which scored junior outfielder Kelly Wardein from second.

Junior outfielder Ashley Core got the lone ISU hit with a bunt single in the fifth inning, spoiling James’ attempt at a no-hitter. Karanzias took the loss on the mound as her record drops to 5-9 as she pitched 2 2/3 innings, allowing four earned runs and six hits.

Up next for the Cyclones will be matchups with Texas Tech this weekend as Iowa State closes out its home schedule this weekend. Saturday’s game is set for noon and Sunday’s first pitch is set for 11 a.m. The team will honor seniors Jen Bice, Cassandra Kastler, Adi Blackmon, Erica Martinez, Molly McNertney and Katie Ruby.

The Red Raiders (20-38, 3-13) are coming off a nonconference doubleheader sweep of New Mexico State in which sophomore Kelly Rhyme went a combined 6-for-7 at the plate with eight RBIs. Texas Tech has won four straight games.

Rhyme is second on the team in batting with a .318 average. She also has scored 28 runs, hit seven home runs and has a team-high 30 RBIs. Senior Kristi Robles lead the team in home runs with eight. As a team, the Red Raiders are batting .255.

On the pitching mound, Texas Tech relies on sophomore Amie Stines and freshman Erin Crawford.

Stines has started 24 games, is 8-17 with a 3.39 ERA and has struck out 104 batters. Crawford has started in 21 games, has compiled a 6-14 record with a 2.77 ERA and has 75 strikeouts.

Meanwhile, the Cyclones are led by senior catcher Katie Ruby, who leads the team in home runs with seven and RBIs with 22. Junior second baseman/shortstop Julie Lindsey leads the team in batting with a .333 average.

Crowe said the team will re-group for this weekend’s games.

“We have to get back and focus on solid pitching and good hitting,” she said.