Anti-Semitic verbal assault leads to arrest

Jill Sederstrom

An ISU graduate student was arrested Tuesday and charged with simple assault after a confrontation before a class in which several anti-Semitic comments were made, said ISU Police officials.

Joe Keller, 46, was arrested by ISU Police Tuesday around 11 a.m. outside Carver Hall in reference to an episode that occurred April 2, said ISU Police Capt. Gene Deisinger.

Doug Ray, graduate student in mathematics, said Keller met him at the back of the classroom just before a math class they are both enrolled in was to begin.

Deisinger said Ray reported Keller calling him a “hooked-nose pimp” and a “pothead motor-mouth.”

“He told me I didn’t wear my yarmulke because I wasn’t a real man,” Ray said. “Ironically, I am not Jewish.”

Deisinger said Ray tried to walk away, but the defendant placed his hand on Ray’s chest and prevented him from getting by. He said Keller continued to make verbal remarks that Ray was denying his Jewish heritage.

“The event culminated with Mr. Keller challenging [Ray] to a fight in the hallway,” Deisinger said.

At that time, the professor entered the classroom and class began.

In March of 2003, the Daily reported that Keller is a member of the European-American Unity and Rights Organization, an organization that, according to its Web site, “defends white interests and rights in the same fashion the NAACP works for the advancement of colored people.” Keller is listed as the EURO contact person for Iowa.

Ray said he and Keller had no problems with each other until recently. Ray began dating a girl who Keller was also interested in, Ray said.

“What I think it is, is that he is upset about me going out with her,” Ray said.

He said there had been one other incident prior to April 2; however, the first time, Keller only made verbal remarks.

Several attempts to reach Keller by phone were unsuccessful.

The assault was initially reported to police by the professor of the class.

Ray said if the professor had not reported the incident, he probably would have.

“The incidents are escalating,” Ray said.

“The only way he could hate me is to associate me with a group he hates,” he said.

Bethany Schuttinga, assistant dean for judicial affairs, said if there has been a violation of the student conduct code, the office of judicial affairs will investigate the matter.

“Any behaviors that are a violation of the Iowa State Student Disciplinary Regulations are addressed judicially,” Schuttinga said.

Keller is currently a mathematics teaching assistant and teaches three sections of Math 265.

Justin Peters, chairman of the mathematics department, said the department will look into the incident.

“It’s a question that will be looked at very seriously,” Peters said.

He said the department will look at reports from the office of judicial affairs and police reports.

“The appropriate committee within the department will take a look at these reports and make a recommendation,” Peters said.

He said he is not aware of any complaints made against Keller.

“His work as a teaching assistant has been satisfactory, as far as I know,” Peters said.

Keller was booked and transported to the Ames City Jail, where he posted $325 bond.

If found guilty of the simple misdemeanor, Keller could face a fine ranging from $50 to $500 and jail time not to exceed 30 days in addition to or instead of the fine.

Keller is currently a resident of Murray House in Knapp Hall.