Gymnasts continue reign over Hawkeyes

Diana Homan

The ISU gymnastics team’s dominance over Iowa continued Friday night as the Cyclones beat the Hawkeyes 196.425-195.275 for the 19th consecutive time.

Iowa State’s record improved to 2-3 and Iowa falls to 0-3.

“I’m very happy,” ISU head coach K.J. Kindler said. “Coming into this meet we worked real hard in the gym and had had a couple rough spots that we’re trying to work though in the gym.”

Even when they had a little bobble or a fall, the Cyclones were able to pick it up. Kindler said she hoped their work in practice would carry through to the meet, and it did.

After the first rotation with the Cyclones on the vault and the Hawkeyes on the uneven bars, the Cyclones found themselves behind by just more than half a point.

But a strong performance in the next rotation with Iowa on the vault and Iowa State on the bars put the Cyclones ahead by a very slim margin.

Freshman Erin Dethloff led the Cyclones on bars with a career-high 9.95. The score also tied an ISU individual record that she shares with former Cyclones Sissy Huey and Betsy Hamm.

“I’ve always been real strong on bars but my focus was more on hitting the routine more than breaking the record,” Dethloff said.

Also on bars, junior Chee Chee Calina received a score 9.90 and freshman Laura Kay Powell a 9.875. Both were career highs.

The third rotation had the Cyclones on the balance beam and the Hawkeyes on the floor exercise.

“Beam is always a nerve-wracking event for any coach. It’s four inches wide,” Kindler said. “That’s the event that your nerves always come out and they did a great job of staying on the beam.”

Even with a good showing on the beam, Iowa State again found themselves behind 0.125 heading into the last event.

With the pressure on, the Cyclones were confident that they would do well on floor, Kindler said.

“We knew we were very strong on floor and we just needed to go out and show off our routines and be confident, which we were,” Dethloff said. “That’s why we exceeded.”

Junior Gabby Layne was first up on floor for the Cyclones and received a career high of 9.875.

“Gabby’s performance on floor, this was her first time in the line-up,” said Kindler. “I was really impressed with that. She started off on a great foot. That was exciting.”

Freshmen Kacey Oiness, Powell and Dethloff all received career marks on floor with 9.8, 9.925 and 9.925 respectively.

Powell who had a fall on the balance beam in the previous rotation knew how important it was to put it behind her and focus on her floor routine.

“The pressure was on but we knew we could do it,” Powell said. “I had to forget about [fall on beam] and put it behind me and go out on the floor and do my best routine.”

Her score was enough to earn her first place on floor with teammate Dethloff.

With three performers falling on the balance beam, 19th-ranked Iowa was unable to maintain their lead and fell to Iowa State by a margin of 1.150 points.

Iowa State won first place in three of the four events. On vault, Freshman Jessica Oney took first with a score of 9.85, Dethloff tied with Iowa’s Alexis Maday for first with 9.95, and Powell and Dethloff won the floor exercise.

Iowa State’s next meet is at 7 p.m. Friday when the Cyclones host Big 12 opponent Nebraska.