Gymnastics team may be short key players at meet

Diana Homan

After a close win over Minnesota last weekend, the No. 16 ISU gymnastics team (4-5) may be shorthanded Friday when it faces No. 19 Oklahoma.

Freshman all-arounder Erin Dethloff, who took first place in the all-around and on the uneven bars last weekend at Minnesota, has been banged up, head coach K.J. Kindler said.

“Erin bruised her heel and hasn’t worked out much. She may not do all-around this weekend,” Kindler said. “We may rest her if it’s not feeling better because it’s not worth it to lose her for the rest of the season.”

If Dethloff isn’t 100 percent, she won’t be expected to perform on the vault and floor, Kindler said.

“I’m hoping Erin can compete, if she doesn’t do all-around, that will hurt us a little bit,” Kindler said.

Dethloff, of Omaha, Neb., is currently ranked 12th nationally in the all-around, tied for 11th on the floor and tied for 12th on the uneven bars.

The Cyclones could use Dethloff against the Sooners as they are winless in the conference. Missouri beat Iowa State in the season opener and second-ranked Nebraska dealt the Cyclones their first home setback on Feb. 7.

“Oklahoma is a great team. They have a lot of freshmen just like we do and they have an excellent coaching staff,” Kindler said.

The Sooners (6-6) are coached by Steve Nunno, who was the coach for Olympic, world and national champion Shannon Miller. Miller is recognized as the most decorated gymnast in U.S. history.

The Sooners are also coming off a win last weekend. They defeated No. 23 Missouri. Oklahoma trailed going into the final rotation but posted its highest score of the season on the floor exercise to pull out the victory.

After the victory Saturday night, the Cyclones had Sunday and Wednesday off from practice, Kindler said. “We give them days off so they can rejuvenate their energy,” she said.

When they have had practice, the team has used it to work on the little things that they have been having troubles with.

“Vault is something we’ve worked on this week because it was a little rough at Minnesota,” Kindler said. “We are trying to sharpen up our landings.”

The floor exercise is one apparatus that they have taken a break at because it is the most taxing on the legs, Kindler said.

Kindler said she has been very pleased with the team’s performance on the balance beam.

“Beam has been really consistent,” Kindler said. “We’re really happy with how that has been going in practice and in the meets.”

But one of the Cyclones’ top beam performers, Susan Stock, is also hurting.

“Susan injured her foot on a landing at Minnesota and she is our top vaulter and beam performer,” Kindler said.

Freshman Laura-Kay Powell and sophomore Abigail Richey would fill in on vault if Dethloff and Stock are unable to compete.

Richey would also compete on floor and she would probably do the all-around, Kindler said.

“If we go without Erin and Susan, it will be a little rough,” Kindler said. “We have the least depth on beam. There is more on floor and bars.”

The matchup with Oklahoma will start at 7 p.m. Friday at Hilton Coliseum.