Iowa State to host 2019 Business, Industry and Technology Career Fair

Jillian Alt/Iowa State Daily

Accounting major Luisa Ambrosio networks with representatives from Panda Express about career options at the career fair on Wednesday in Hilton Coliseum.

Jared Coady

The Business, Industry and Technology spring career fair will be from noon to 5 p.m. Wednesday in Hilton Coliseum. 

Around 1800 students on average visit the spring career fair, where students have the opportunity to explore potential career paths and secure future internships as they network with the over 140 employers in attendance, including major companies such as GEICO, Kum & Go and Hy-Vee.

Cory Koster, a junior in pre-business, has attended the Business, Industry and Technology Career fair previously.

“The career fair helped introduce me to the interview process and prepare me for future job interviews that I will face in the future while searching for a career,” Koster said.

Kathy Wieland, director of Business Career Services, said that to ease nerves, researching companies is one of the best ways students can prepare.

“The number one way to be successful at these career fairs is to do some research on who’s going to be in attendance,” Wieland said. “If you can apply to any positions in advance, it’s an extremely easy way to get conversation going.”

Another cause for concern for students is how they will set themselves apart from other students. Wieland said it’s not so much what you can say about yourself, but rather what you can say about the employer you’re talking to.

“Students are very concerned about what they’re going to say about themselves that’s so much greater than what other students can say about themselves,” Wieland said. “If they focus more on what they can say about the company, they will have greater success.”

Students can find more tips about preparing for the career fair on the Ivy College of Business Career Services website, as well as schedule appointments regarding resumes, job offers, interviews and a variety of other services. In addition, a full list of employers attending the 2019 Business, Industry and Technology spring career fair can be found on CyHire.