Gymnastics team upsets No. 22 Minnesota

Diana Homan

The No. 20 ISU gymnastics team got a big win on the road Saturday night when they defeated the No. 22 Minnesota Golden Gophers 196.550-196.400 at the Sports Pavilion in Minneapolis.

Iowa State’s overall record improves to 4-5 and Minnesota falls to 7-5.

“The girls were confident. The stayed calm and didn’t panic,” head coach K. J. Kindler said. “They felt and knew they could do well. It is difficult to win there.”

The Gophers always have a good program and placed ninth at nationals last season, Kindler said.

The Cyclones were lead by freshman Erin Dethloff, who took first in the all-around competition with a score of 39.40. She also took first on the uneven bars with a score of 9.90, tied for second on the floor exercise and third on vault with scores of 9.925 and 9.80, respectively.

“Erin had a rough time in warmups,” Kindler said. “She’s been battling a cold and didn’t have a great week of practice. But she is such a competitor and she gets the job done.”

Dethloff was the only ISU gymnast to place in the floor exercise, but Kindler said her squad’s performances on the floor and vault were the best of the season.

Senior Karen Kuplicki tied for first place honors on the vault with a 9.85, which is a season high.

“Karen just nailed her vault,” Kindler said.

Freshman Jessica Oney scored a 9.80 to tie with Dethloff for third on vault. Sophomore Abigail Richey tried a new higher-rated vault and still managed a 9.30 despite a fall. Kindler expects her to continue to improve and said she will probably remain in the lineup.

But while the vaults were good, Kindler said her squad’s performance on the floor was the story of the night.

“When we came on the floor to perform, the girls did a complete 180 and they were ready to go,” Kindler said. “Floor was fantastic, really phenomenal.”

Junior Chee Chee Calina agreed.

“Floor was really good and everyone performed well,” Calina said. “The beam was good but we rocked floor.”

Calina and sophomore Susan Stock tied for first on the balance beam with scores of 9.925. It was a career high for both.

“I’ve always joked about wanting to get a 9.9 and to get a 9.925 was unexpected,” Calina said. “I was very happy.”

Kindler said senior Courtney Sarrett also had a great beam performance.

“Courtney got us off to a great start with a 9.85,” Kindler said. “It is the best I’ve seen her perform this season. If we start off good, it allows the rest that are behind to perform well.”

On the bars, a team goal for the meet was to go six-for-six — which translates into no falls.

“Everyone stayed on. It wasn’t 100 percent perfect but about 80 percent,” Kindler said. “But it is a big step forward for us.”

Overall, Calina said the team came away with a satisfied feeling from the meet.

“We went up there wanting to do really well,” Calina said. “It was rough in the beginning but we pulled together.”

Iowa State returns home Friday to take on Oklahoma at 7 p.m. at Hilton Coliseum.