Music Marathon to help raise funds for spring trip

Shannon Varner

What’s the difference between the ISU Wind Ensemble and the Energizer bunny? Not even the bunny could go for 12 hours straight.

The group will hold its first Music Marathon Saturday. The 12-hour fund-raiser will help ensemble members raise money for a week-long spring tour of Munich, Rothenburg and Stuttgart in Germany and Salzburg, Austria.

“This is the first time in years the Wind Ensemble has toured [outside] of the country,” says Michael Golemo, director of the ISU Wind Ensemble. “It’s a unique way to make money rather than selling pizza.”

Students going on the trip are expected to pay for the majority of the tour, and are taking pledges for each hour of the marathon. Any donations made the day of the fund-raiser will be split equally and will go toward the trip, says Golemo, assistant professor of music. The students will receive 100 percent of the profits.

The group has been working all year to raise money for the tour through other small fund-raisers, concerts and various grants and donations. However, Golemo says the Music Marathon will play a big part in the group reaching its financial goals.

“The Music Marathon is something the Wind Ensemble has never done before. Other schools have done this and have been very successful,” Golemo says. “I’m sure Iowa State won’t be an exception.”

A performance by the student drumline Groove will also aid the Wind Ensemble’s fund-raiser. Chase Beisel, member of Groove and senior in chemical engineering, says Groove will be playing a variety of high energy cheers and drum cadences.

“It really depends on the audience … what they want,” Beisel says.

The wind ensemble’s performance will feature guest conductors Sue Haug, professor and chairwoman of the music department, Joe Woodley, Cyclone football fullback and senior in exercise and sports science, and Pete Englin, dean of students.

Englin says conducting is a new opportunity for him, and he is excited to give it a try.”I can’t sing and I’ve never played an instrument,” Englin says. “This is a brand new experience. I’ve never conducted before.”

Englin says the marathon is a “wonderfully unique” way to raise money and is a better option over other fund-raisers.