Freshman arrested on child pornography charges

Jill Sederstrom

An ISU freshman was charged Friday with eight counts of sexual exploitation of a minor, said ISU Police Capt. Gene Deisinger.

Gregory Hudgens, freshman in pre-computer science, was arrested and charged with the aggravated misdemeanors after police found digital images on his computer of children performing sexual acts.

“Investigators found digital images, digital movies, that clearly subject children to sexual activities,” Deisinger said. “We charged Mr. Hudgens accordingly.”

ISU police received information that Hudgens may have obtained these images from several individuals. Deisinger said Hudgens had given access to his computer to another student for a class project. This individual noticed files or file names thought to be pornographic and notified police.

The police obtained a search warrant Nov. 14 and searched Hudgens’ residence hall room, 2668 Helser Hall, the same day the complaint was filed. During the search, officers seized computer equipment and media storage devices.

Deisinger said ISU police draw on federal authorities to help establish the ages of the individuals in the images.

He said the images found on Hudgens’ computer appeared to involve both male and female children in their young teens.

Police do not believe Hudgens was knowingly providing the images to others.

“To this point in the investigation, there is no evidence Mr. Hudgens was promoting or disseminating the images he had on his computer,” Deisinger said.

This is the fourth case involving child pornography-related charges at Iowa State in recent months.

According to Daily staff reports, former ISU student Jason Lighthall was arrested May 2 on child pornography-related charges. Buckley Necker and Jeremy Leo were arrested Oct. 23 in connection with unrelated child pornography charges.

Deisinger said there is not a direct connection between any of these cases. He did say there was an indirect connection because they may have obtained the images from the same source.

Deisinger said he has no knowledge that they were sharing the images with each other.

Deisinger said as the Internet becomes available to more people he expects an increase in all Internet-based crimes.

Hudgens is being held at the Story County Justice Center on $60,000 bond, Deisinger said.

If he is found guilty, Hudgens could face up to two years in jail and a $500 fine for each aggravated misdemeanor charge.