ISU gear tops holiday wish lists

Trina Belzung

With finals only a month away and the football team bowl-bound, Ames merchants are preparing to cash in on the Cyclones’ victories and to help out holiday shoppers by making ISU wear and memorabilia readily available to gift buyers.

Intensitee, one of Ames’ largest suppliers of Iowa State clothing and gifts, looks forward to the holiday season, the busiest time of the year.

“The holiday rush starts right around Thanksgiving and lasts until the students go home after finals,” said President of Intensitee, TJ Clemons. “During that time, we do more than 15% of our sales for the year.”

T-Galaxy Store Manager Sue Kessel expects sales to be even greater than normal this holiday season due to the success of the Iowa State football team and Seneca Wallace.

“The football team has a direct impact on sales,” Kessel said. “Now that they are bowl-bound, people will be gearing up even more.”

In terms of clothing, the local stores anticipate this season’s hot items to include Seneca Wallace jerseys and hooded sweatshirts.

“Sweats are always a favorite with college students and right now hooded sweatshirts are in,” said Clemons.

T-Galaxy’s new ladies’ apparel line also looks to be popular this season. The line features clothes that contour more to a woman’s body.

“The clothes are cut specifically for women,” Kessel said.

As for non-clothing items, Campus Book Store carries popular collectible ornaments and Santa figurines. The 2002 versions of Santa’s Secret and Christmas Cheer are now available in the store and online.

Other favorite gift items include blankets and mugs, Clemons said. “And with the football team doing well, tailgating gear such as chairs and coats will be popular,” he said.

University Book Store Marketing Director Sadja said there are plenty of gifts for everyone. “Calendars are always a great backup when you have someone who’s hard to shop for.”

Whatever your price range, Clemons said there is something for everyone.

“While we have our fair share of parents and locals, around 70% of our business comes from students,” Clemons said. “Therefore, we always have good deals and items priced to buy for whoever you are looking for.”