Month-long Ramadan celebrates Muslim religion

Kate Mckenna

For many students, the holidays are not just about presents, mistletoe and lights. The month of December is an opportunity for many students to celebrate different religious holidays.

The celebration of Ramadan is a Muslim tradition that began the first week of November. The start of the celebration depends on the moon sighting. The first sight of a crescent marks a new moon and a new month in the Muslim calendar. The ending of Ramadan also depends on the moon sighting, but usually is about 30 days from the start.

Ramadan involves fasting from food, drink and sexual relations from dawn to dusk for the entire month. This is significant to the thinking of others’ struggles in life.

“We only fast for a few hours each day for a month, some people fast their whole lives because they can’t afford food,” said Ahmed Hashim, president of Iowa State Muslim Student Association. “This is a reminder of how they suffer.”

Not only is this a time for fasting, but is also a chance to get closer to God through extra prayers and worship. It is also a time to resist from other evils like greed.

“We are suppose to do this all the time, but especially this month,” Hashim says. “It keeps you charged up for the rest of the year.”

At dusk each day, the Iftar, or “breaking of the fast” is when worshippers can eat and drink a small meal.

“There is a group Iftar at the mosque every night of Ramadan,” Hashim said. “This lets us students and others break our fast together.”

Today, Ramadan is losing its emphasis that this is a time to think about worshiping God, Hashim said.

“Work hours have gone down during this month and it is more of a holiday,” he said. “I think it destroys the purpose of Ramadan. We are suppose to live life normally, just our food and drink are taken away to feel others’ problems.”

There are gifts presented after the fasting. Usually an older relative gives a present to a younger one.

“I’ll give to my young cousin and nephews and nieces,” he said. “My dad and uncle will give me presents.”