Dickens’ classic tale to unveil true spirit of the holidays

Shandra Wendorff

Charles Dickens’ classic, “A Christmas Carol,” will be lighting up the stage this month at Fisher theatre.

“This play provides two hours [for people] to think of the real meaning of the holidays we are about to enter,” said Jane Cox, director and associate theatre professor at Iowa State.

The cast has been working on putting the pieces of the performance together since October 7, when auditions took place. Since then, the troupe has been rehearsing five nights a week in addition to the uncountable number of hours they’ve logged in outside of rehearsals.

Scott Morehead Jr., junior in performing arts, plays Bob Cratchit, humble employee of the miser Ebenezer Scrooge.

“This show is huge and has a great number of splendid performers. We get to showcase our department’s talent as well as give a wonderful show with a warm message,” he stated.

In addition to student performers, faculty and staff as well as Ames citizens have helped to set the stage. Pat Gouran, associate theatre professor, plays the grisly miser Scrooge and Wyatt Rassmussen, an Ames 7-year-old, will play the role of Bob Crachit’s crippled son, Tiny Tim.

There is quite a bit of young local talent that manages to decorate the stage throughout the performance.

“All of the little smiles we get to see every night are precious. The [children] are wonderful breaths of fresh air,” Moorehead stated.

Cox explained that the plot and its execution would be similar to the Dickens novel, as opposed to other popular adaptations of A Christmas Carol. “It’s definitely not going to be the Mickey Mouse version,” she stated. “There is certainly a happy side, but along with that, it has the troubles and sorrows that life can also bring.”

A Christmas Carol is the tale of the heartless Ebenezer Scrooge, who receives visits from the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future during the night of Christmas Eve. The visits, coupled with a nephew who won’t give up trying and a compassionate employee, Scrooge finds meaning in his life and the lives of others.

“The theme, the characters Dicken’s creates, the acting and the design elements all come together to really communicate to the audience and create a very strong show,” Cox stated.

As the story is a true classic cherished by many, Morehead emphasized that students, faculty and staff alike will find meaning in ISU’s rendition of the show.

“This is a reminder of what the holiday season is about — kindness, forgiveness and love. It really emphasizes the holiday spirit,” he stated.

ISU Theatre presented “A Christmas Carol” eight years ago, but hasn’t performed it since. Cox said it was a good pick for this season because it has a wide appeal for people of all ages.

“It speaks about change for the better, about importance of family, the need to help others and to contribute to the world around us,” she stated. “We know all of these things, but we need to take time out to think about these truths ever so often.”