Valentina Salotti named new associate dean of undergraduate programs for the Ivy College of Business

Grant Tetmeyer/Iowa State Daily

New Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs Valentina Salotti Feb. 12. Salotti has a PhD in Banking & Finance from the University of Bologna in Bologna, Italy. She came to Iowa State during her time abroad during the PhD program. She supposed to be at Iowa State for six months but ending up staying for her entire PhD program. 

Jared Coady

At the start of the new year, Valentina Salotti began a new role as the associate dean for the Ivy College of Business undergraduate programs.

Salotti previously held roles at Iowa State as an associate professor of finance as well as an equity adviser to Dean David Spalding at the Ivy College of Business.

“To me this job is a perfect fit in terms of my background and because I still enjoy teaching and want to give back in a broader way,” Salotti said. “I’m in charge of undergraduate programs, career services, the communication center and study abroad programs.”

Salotti, who is originally from Italy, first came to the United States because of a study abroad requirement in her doctorate program at the University of Bologna in Italy. She found her way to Iowa State through a connection with one of her professors and a finance faculty member at Iowa State. What was originally a six month study abroad program eventually became much more. 

“Six months turned into one year, one year turned into two and basically I never made it back,” Salotti said. “I completed my doctorate and they had a job open here, so I applied.”

One of Salotti’s new responsibilities is to coordinate faculty-led study abroad opportunities. This is something Salotti said she believes as many students as possible should try to experience in college while they have the time and flexibility. The Ivy College of Business offers semester study abroad programs, as well as programs over the summer or during spring break. 

“One of the big goals we have is to build a good citizen. Part of that is to become a global person, one that can function well in Iowa, In all of the U.S., and globally,” Salotti said. “Even if you don’t leave Iowa you are still going to work with people [from] all over the world, and the best way to get you more comfortable with that is to go abroad.”

Salotti said she is happy with the current direction of the Ivy College of Business and is looking forward to the future. 

“I think we are headed in the right direction,” Salotti said. “I would say a big plus to coming here is that learning is not confined to the classroom. Our students put their learning into practice with case competitions, study abroad and our CyBiz lab, where students have the opportunity to provide consulting to companies.”

According to a press release, Salotti is replacing Jackie Rees Ulmer, the undergraduate programs and Union Pacific Professor of information systems, for this position. Ulmer will assume the role of associate dean for professional masters programs.

“Valentina [Salotti] has been a tremendous asset to the college. She has been a role model for young women in business and has been a positive leader as our college equity advisor,” said Raisbeck Endowed Dean David Spalding in a press release. “In that role, [Salotti] advises the dean’s office on strategies and best practices to recruit and retain diverse faculty. I look forward to working with Valentina [Salotti] in her new role.”