Student Government to see bill to increase funding for professional development

Katlyn Campbell/Iowa State Daily

Vice President Juan Bibiloni addresses his fellow Student Government members during their first meeting of the spring semester on Jan. 16 in the Campanile Room at the Memorial Union.

Madelyn Ostendorf

Student Government will debate funding for a student cultural organization and an amendment to increase funding for professional development.

The Senate will also see legislation that was slated to appear at their special session Saturday.

An order, titled “Rescinding Executive Order 2018-01-22,” called for the removal of Director of Residency Dozmen Lee. However, Speaker Cody Woodruff indicated in an email accompanying the legislation that this order will be “killed” on Wednesday night.

Ames Student Association for Malaysians, a student organization that exists to enhance communication and promote Malaysian Culture among its constituents and Iowa State’s students, faculty and staff, is requesting $4,000 to host an event to celebrate the Malaysian Cultural Night on April 27 for an estimated 500 people. The funding would go to help the club decrease the cost of traditional food.

The Senate will also see an act, titled “P&C Amendment for Professional Development,” to accommodate for the growing need for increased professional development, specifically for Student Legal Services.

“Student Legal Services is funded entirely by Student Government and is specifically for students, yet employees there are forced to pay out-of-pocket expenses for professional development,” according to the document.

The act would amend the total allotment given to the “Professional Development” section of the Priorities and Criteria form $1,500 per professional employee per year to $3,000.

For more information or to contact your senator, visit stugov.iastate.edu. The senate meetings are open to the public 7 p.m. Wednesdays in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.