UNI student group protests tuition hike

Michaela Saunders

CEDAR FALLS — The Board of Regents was given “ammunition to take to the Legislature” by a group of more than 25 students at its meeting Wednesday. University of Northern Iowa students stood in the back of the regents’ meeting room with signs protesting the proposed tuition increase.

UNI’s Student Voices Committee was formed more than a month ago in response to the tuition increase proposal. Prior to the meeting, nearly 200 students marched with signs, said Brianne Waychoff, graduate student in women’s studies. Waychoff carried a sign that read “Say no to the privatization of education.”

Brett Billman, graduate student in communication, said UNI students took the opportunity of regent presence on campus seriously.

“We understand they need ammunition from students and faculty to take to the Legislature,” he said. “We can’t continue to afford these giant increases.”

Emiliano Lerda, UNI Student Government vice president, said the students acted on their own, with only guidance from the Northern Iowa Student Government.

“We assisted them with information they needed. They know and understand we need to work with the regents,” he said. “Our approach is formal, theirs is very active, and both are necessary.”

Student support was evident as the group clapped for the student leaders at the conclusion of their presentation to the board. Board members also appreciated student government approaches to the complex issue.

“I’m glad to see you recognize we’re on your side,” said Regent David Neil of La Porte City. But he asked representatives from each university what they suggested. “Are you willing to risk larger class sizes?”

Each student leader took time to explain how the $650 per year tuition increase for resident and $1,300 for nonresident students will impact their respective campuses. University presidents detailed how tuition revenue will be spent at their institutions.

Government of the Student Body President T.J. Schneider and Vice President Joe Darr spoke pointedly about the increase in class size and the decrease in size of the freshman class. They reminded the board that “the cost of tuition is only part of the puzzle of a student’s U-Bill.”

Student leaders agreed the “real costs” of a college education are making it more unaffordable for middle- and lower-class students.

President Gregory Geoffroy said tuition revenue will be used for three things at Iowa State. The percentage of tuition dollars set aside for financial aid will be increased 11 to 25 percent. The money will also be used to address mandatory and inflationary cost increases, such as energy costs. Geoffroy said the money will also be used to create new faculty positions.

Geoffroy told the board that Iowa State has lost 114 full-time equivalent faculty positions. “There has been a serious erosion of faculty numbers, which is affecting quality,” he said. The other universities reported similar faculty losses.

He also said half of the financial aid tuition set aside will be earmarked for nonresident students because they produce half of the revenue. Earl Dowling, director of ISU financial aid, said more students are applying for aid on time, and ISU students have more financial need than students at the other universities. He said 64.5 percent of ISU students receive need-based financial aid.

Regent Amir Arbisser of Davenport encouraged students from the three universities to send letters to their representatives, go to Des Moines and get parents involved.