Spring CALS career fair brings 101 employers to campus

Mikinna Kerns/Iowa State Daily

Potential job applicant talks with Land O’ Lakes representative Teresa Decker during the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Career Fair held Feb. 6, 2019 in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

Megan Nemec

More than 101 organizations attended the annual spring College of Agriculture and Life Sciences’ career fair on Wednesday to recruit Iowa State students for jobs and internships.

This event is the second CALS career fair of the school year, with the fall career fair being the largest of its kind in the country.

Jack Hughes, a sophomore in agronomy, had the opportunity to speak with Syngenta and Ag Leader Technology about possible positions pertaining to his major.

“I enjoyed getting to network with people in the industry,” Hughes said.

At the fair, students had the opportunity to refine their professional skills and communicate their skills and interests with possible employers. Students were able to prepare by using various resources such as CyHire.

Over 99 percent of the CALS recent graduates were working, continuing their education or serving in the military within six months of receiving their diplomas, according to a press release.

“I went on to the Career Services page and I looked at all the companies posted and I further researched the companies I was interested in,” said Rebecca Vanderheiden, a senior in agricultural studies.

Vanderheiden said her favorite part of the career fair was getting to know more companies and being able to put herself out there.

Bret Schlicksup, a freshman in agriculture business is a first-time attendee of the CALS spring career fair. He found the environment to be serious, professional and exciting.

“I researched companies, came up with questions beforehand and had in mind what internships I was interested in within the companies,” Schlicksup said. “I was excited to speak with ADM and Cargill because last night we had an agriculture business dinner with many of these companies that helped us prepare for today.”