New mall has some residents concerned

Rebecca Cooper

A group of Ames residents recently formed to express concern about changes to the Land Use Policy Plan that would enable a new mall to be built east of Ames.

“We’re not trying to sound like we don’t want growth in Ames. We just would like to see more traditional growth,” said Joset Etzel, graduate student in electrical and computer engineering. “We think that if they took the proposed regional mall off the plans, the city would be better off.”

The group fears North Grand Mall and downtown businesses would suffer if the regional mall were approved, Etzel said. The group plans to combine with other concerned groups to meet with the City Council.

Etzel fears the regional mall would be difficult for students and the elderly to reach if it is built on the outer edge of the community.

“I used to live in Ankeny, which is all built up around the highway,” Etzel said. “You have to get into the car to go anywhere, even if you just want to get a gallon of milk. Most students and elderly community members don’t have access to cars or other transportation to get out there.”

Etzel said North Grand Mall and the downtown district are convenient for both students and community members.

“Anyone can walk there, ride their bikes or take the bus there to get a card, shoes or clothes; it’s very convenient,” she said. “I would understand if they proposed putting a Best Buy or a store like that along Lincoln Way or South Duff where there are other retail stores, but we would like to see Ames grow in existing corridors.”

Wolford Development, Inc., the company that proposed the mall, has not officially submitted plans to the Ames City Council, said Mark Reinig, Ames economic development coordinator.

“The city is doing this as a market-driven request,” Reinig said. “We are not offering any incentives for the company to bring their business to Ames. They’re bringing that forward on their own fruition.”

The Chattanooga, Tenn., business is expected to submit an official proposal with site and building plans in June or July, Reinig said. The mall would be built at East 13th Street and Interstate 35.

Reinig said Wolford, Inc. is currently conducting traffic impact surveys, studies to see how the new mall would affect current retail in Ames, market analysis studies and environmental impact studies to see the impact on storm water and water quality.

Wolford, Inc. officials were unavailable for comment.

Reinig said the City Council will vote on whether to change the Land Grant Use Policy after it receives the official proposal. The land Wolford, Inc. has proposed to use is not currently part of Ames, so the council would have to annex the ground into city limits and rezone.

Before the company proposed the new mall, the City Council conducted studies regarding the use of the land for industrial development. Reinig said the eastern third of Ames is mostly industrial because of its proximity to the railroad and highway.

“They’re going to have to work hard to convince the City Council to change their plans about what would work best for Ames,” Reinig said. “It will be a while before any of this is official, but we’ve already heard concern from citizens about the effects the proposal would have and the proposal itself.”