Student charged for manufacturing IDs

Anna Holland

Story County officials have officially charged an ISU sophomore with making and selling false driver’s licenses from his Wallace Hall dorm room.

Jonathan Ehmen, sophomore in liberal arts and sciences, had several charges filed against him Monday, said Story County Attorney Stephen Holmes.

Ehmen will appear in court facing charges of ongoing criminal conduct, five counts of felony forgery and tampering with records. Ongoing criminal conduct is committing a criminal act over a period of time for financial gain.

Holmes said the operation began around Aug. 1.

If convicted of all of the charges, Ehmen faces 52 years in prison. No court date has yet been set for Ehmen.

Jerry Stewart, Department of Public Safety Director, said DPS officers did not arrest Ehmen. He said Ehmen turned himself in to county authorities in Nevada, and he had no other information on the case.

Department of Public Safety officers executed a search warrant in mid-January, entering two rooms on the seventh floor of Wallace Hall and seizing two computers, a laminator, scanning equipment, a digital camera and documents related to producing fake out-of-state driver’s licenses.

Officers also found a .22-caliber handgun and ammunition in a desk drawer.

Possession of a handgun is not against Iowa law, but it is in violation of Department of Residence regulations.

About 30 other ISU students have been charged with use of false identification.

Dean of Students Pete Englin said he could not comment on whether Ehmen or the other students will face the Student Judiciary Committee.