Cyclones fall in day two of Big 12 Championship

Katlyn Campbell/Iowa State Daily

Freshman Elynn Tan swims in lane three during the Women 100 Fly competition Oct. 12 at the Cardinal and Gold swim meet in Beyer Hall. Tan finished with a time of 57.37.

Nick Flores

After finishing in third place with 64 points just behind Kansas (7-1, 2-0 Big 12) with 66 and Texas (8-0) with 80 in day one of the Big 12 Championship, the Cyclones competed in the 500-free, 200-IM, 50-free, the 1-meter dive and the 400 medley relay in day two.

Day two of the Big 12 Championship saw seven Cyclones make it past the preliminary rounds and into the finals in Austin. 

To kick off the events, senior captain Haley Ruegemer and freshman Lucia Rizzo competed in the 500-free in which they both qualified for the consolation final. Ruegemer finished with a time of 4:54.74 earning her 13th place overall and Rizzo came in with a time of 4:58.08 seeing her finish 23rd. 

Ruegemer went on to take second in the consolation final with a time of 4:52.33 earning the Cyclones some much-needed points headed into day three of the competition. 

The 200-IM saw junior Emma Ruehle make her way into the consolation final after putting up a time of 2:04.64, finishing 13th overall. Junior Kami Pankratz also qualified for the consolation final after swimming a time of 2:06.39, placing her 15th overall.

Both Ruehle and Pankratz set new personal records to move up two spots after the consolation final as Ruehle ended with a time of 2:03.55 and Pankratz with 2:06.19. 

Sophomore Lehr Thorson also qualified for the 200-IM consolation final after finishing the prelims with a time of 2:08.64. Thorson also went on to set a new PR in the consolation final as she ended her night with a time of 2:07.57. 

In the 50-free, senior Evan Hundley, alongside junior Anna Andersen and freshman Emily Haan, qualified for the consolation finals as freshman star Elynn Tan finished sixth with a time of 23.07. Tan went on to finish fifth in the finals with a time of 23.12 as Andersen took 12th place and Hundley took 16th place in the consolation finals. 

Junior Dana Liva qualified for the 1-meter consolation finals after posting a score of 226.30. Senior Sydney Ronald just missed qualifying after finishing with a final score of 218.70. Liva then went on to jump from 16th overall to 12th after scoring a 250.45 in the consolation final. 

Finally, Anderson, Haan, Tan and sophomore Martha Haas ended the events competing in the 400 medley relay. The Cyclones’ quartet went on to finish the race with the second-fastest time in school history, posting a time of 3:40.68.  

After a busy day in Austin, the Cyclones saw themselves fall from third place to fifth with 134 points heading into day three of the Big 12 Championship.