At the president’s right hand

Katie Sonderman

When ISU President Gregory Geoffroy moved into his office in July 2001, he found a group of people ready and waiting to help him take the helm of Iowa State.

And now, after half a year of working together in 1750 Beardshear Hall, Geoffroy said he wouldn’t change a thing.

“I think that the folks in the office are friendly to each other and to those who interface with the office,” Geoffroy said. “[The staff] is efficient because they get a lot of work done in a very efficient manner.”

The office of the president at Iowa State is very different from the other offices Geoffroy has been a part of in the past, he said.

“The president at the University of Maryland had a strong chief of staff who also carried the title of assistant president,” Geoffroy said. “[The assistant president] handled many of the management functions of the office and much of the routine correspondence.”

The president at Penn State had a senior vice president for administration, who handled similar responsibilities, he said.

There is no similar position at Iowa State, he said.

Other than leaving the vice president for external relations position empty, Geoffroy has not made or plans to make any substantial changes in the office.

In addition to two secretaries, Mary Jane McCunn and Patricia Hoversten; an admistrative specialist, Tammy Michel; and a special assistant, Carol Bradley, four people operate behind the scenes in Beardshear.

Charles Dobbs

Charles Dobbs, executive assistant to the president is Geoffroy’s right-hand man. Dobbs, former ISU history professor, has been in the office since Feb. 1, 1994.

For his salary of $108,000 a year, Dobbs’ primary responsibility is assisting the president as he moves throughout his day.

“I draft and edit much of his correspondence, help gather information, investigate some situations, organize and run the President’s Leadership Class and organize meetings of the Board of Regents, State of Iowa, that take place at ISU,” he said.

Dobbs also works with the staff at the Knoll to coordinate presidential events, overseeing the development of invitations and guest lists. He works with the ISU Foundation and other entities on events Geoffroy is sponsoring or in which he has a significant role.

Dobbs organizes presidential entertaining for football and basketball games, and, “the ever-popular, `other duties as assigned,’ ” he said.

“Interacting with all of the good people with whom I regularly come into contact” is the best part of Dobbs’ job.

But some parts of the position are challenging because some of the complaints the office receives can be discouraging, he said.

“The complaints reflect poor communication between parents and students rather than problems on the part of the university,” Dobbs said. “I feel badly for both the parents and the students when they aren’t talking openly to one another.”

Dobbs, who also worked with former ISU President Martin Jischke, said the responsibilities of his position have not changed much since Geoffroy arrived at Iowa State.

“There have been some changes owing to his personal style and how he likes to have things done, but by and large, we continue because the same tasks remain to be done,” Dobbs said.

The environment of the office is relaxed, yet productive, he said.

“I think we work very hard and efficiently,” Dobbs said. “I think we also can be playful, which is good to relieve tension.”

Gary Steinke

Gary Steinke, director of government relations for the president, is Geoffroy’s connection to the state and the nation.

Steinke, who has been a member of the office since 1994, is responsible for all governmental-relation services and activities for the university. He received his bachelor’s degree in political science from Loras College and his master’s degree in political science from Drake University.

At an annual salary of $101,000, Steinke stays current on bills, amendments and debates that could have an impact on Iowa State, and he shares his knowledge with the administration, he said.

One of Steinke’s goals for the future is “to continue to improve our communication system for campus community and outside constituencies,” he said.

Steinke said he also would like to continue to improve technological advances in information gathering, and, of course, help Iowa State become the best.

“[I want] to continue to assist the president of the university in fulfilling his goals and aspirations for Iowa State,” he said.

Mark Chidister

Mark Chidister, assistant to the president, is a man of all tasks.

The former professor and associate dean in the College of Design first came to Iowa State in 1981, and he began working for the president in June 2001.

For his yearly $115,000 salary, Chidister oversees university budget planning and presidential accounts. He monitors the coordination of the university’s strategic planning process and reports and the preparation of data and information for the president. And he oversees Office of Institutional Research and the Office of Internal Audit.

Chidister coordinates the President’s Council and the Capital Projects Council, and he serves as the main conduit of information to and from the Board of Regents staff.

The most difficult aspect of his job is dealing with budget cuts, Chidister said.

It’s challenging “to keep abreast [of] the breadth of information and news that affect the university, its budget and its plans for the future,” he said.

But there’s a good side to working for the president as well, Chidister said.

“[It’s rewarding] to work with others who care about the people that comprise Iowa State and this campus,” he said.

There is no one word to describe Geoffroy, Chidister said. Among other things, the president is, “Well informed. Always willing to listen to a good idea. Quick study. Decisive. Fast moving. Indomitable spirit. Great to work for.”

Jenyse Belden

Jenyse Belden, administrative specialist, is the newest addition to the president’s office.

For an annual $38,500 salary, she coordinates Geoffroy’s calendar, manages the office support staff, responds to many inquiries and performs other tasks as the president directs, Belden said.

The office is a professional environment, but not stiff she said.

Belden, who received her bachelor’s degree in business from Grand View College, said she has only been associated with Iowa State since the beginning of her job in the office.

“I have been overwhelmed by the friendliness with which I have been welcomed at Iowa State,” she said. “Everyone I have met has made me very comfortable, forgiven my ignorance and been as helpful as possible.”

Geoffroy is easy to work for, Belden said.

“He holds a high standard for quality, which I admire,” she said. “I see his dedication to Iowa State and to students on a daily basis. He is committed to helping ISU become the best land-grant university. He really enjoys what he is doing and truly appears to enjoy the people he meets daily. He has a very stressful job, and he manages it very well.”